Chapter 41

Lupa trained the demigods or legacies under her in the way of life. 

She didn't have schedules or regimes, unlike the strict Roman standard. In the legion, they were treated akin to military's, but the children who came to her were often in their dawning years, much too young to follow the hardening practices. 

Her job ended when the child reached maturity and developed a personality where he or she won't be devoured in the future, whether it be by elders, monsters or beliefs. 

She taught them strength and independence, and the legion would teach them discipline.

The choice was placed in the hands of the humans. It was up to the demigods and legacies to choose whether they wanted to learn from her or leave. There were several who chose the latter. But there were also a few humans who had made the Wolf House their home and had dedicated their lives to Lupa. 

Children who differently abled or those who found it difficult to fit in the Legion chose to give their years of service in the Wolf House and retire to New Rome if they wished. These adults had taken the role of teaching children how to recognize and communicate with the wolves and things which Lupa could not, like the 'human' language and value of money and so on. 

She had been grateful, because she very well knew that for humans to grow like humans, humans were necessary.

Since Jason had basically been raised by the pack and Percy had grown among the wild with Pan's blessing, they were fluent in the language of actions. Though it took Percy a little time to adjust, the fundamental behaviors f the beasts were common and Percy was quick on the uptake.

Under her firm tutelage, Jason had learnt valuable life skills, like distinguishing between the strong and the weak and how to make the strong weak. They would often attract monsters and as the pack played with them, Jason was encouraged to learn by watching. 

In such ways, Jason and Percy were similar and looked to be joined at the hip. Rey would follow along with Keria usually on his back, one loud and one quiet. Because these four were always together, Percy and Keria had assimilated into the pack, even though he was still distant towards the wolves and her. 

He never pushed away her teachings, though. He took every opportunity to learn. He would keep his ears and eyes attentive, taking advantage of any and every advice given to him, whether it be Lupa, Jason or a wolf who used a particular strategy to capture a deer.

He never kept any unnecessary pride within him, something which earned him points with Lupa. She had seen enough of children puffing up their chests just because of the gold running through their veins. 

He was a humble boy, making an example out of himself for Jason as well, who was only a year younger but followed Percy obediently. They would have their squabbles, but Jason held him in high respect. 

Percy had brought himself to eat the prey the wolves caught for them, renouncing his decision of not tasting the blood of the ones whose thoughts he shared. He had eaten quietly, praying within himself for the passed animal. He knew that it was not time for him to be picky and kept him grievances' hidden. 

It was only when Percy showed a clear indication that he did not process the knowledge on how to skin or cook the bounty did Jason suspect that Percy had been a vegetarian. He knew beforehand that Percy had the ability to sense the intentions and emotions of animals but till then, he hadn't guessed that it was the reason that Percy had never touched meat before.

It was when he saw Percy's eyes following him unflinchingly did he decide that he was a person who Jason would respect. Though his fingers were covered in the blood of the animal and he was cutting its belly open, Percy had only watched.

From there on, Percy could feel a pair of bright eyes on his back, eager and expectant to learn more, teach more. It was a smooth exchange of knowledge, they would teach one another and they would learn from one another. 

Percy, especially, was quite intelligent- comparatively more strategic and manipulative than Jason. He had learnt all the ancient tactics from Oak and after living with the hunters had become more knowledgeable on how to use them in real life. After studying those theories and battle strategies, he had made himself a solid base on which he added his own thoughts and plans. 

Without revealing that its origin was Greek, he taught Jason, sometimes scaring him with how his mind worked. He taught him to be resourceful, keeping the mind open to new possibilities, because in the forest he had learnt that anything could become a weapon.

Jason meanwhile taught Percy how to handle weapons. Though he had the hunters of Artemis as his teachers, Percy insisted to learn because of the difference between the styles of wielding between Roman and Greek. He was sure that as time passed, he would develop his own style, which was part Roman- part Greek, just like him. 

And since Jason was more upright as a person, he was a general good influence on Percy who'd grown up rather wild. He advised Percy on general social skills, revealing to the pack that Percy wasn't avoiding them on purpose but was simply hesitating to approach them.

Time went smoothly from there for the children, especially with Lupa's watchful gaze shining upon them.