Chapter XVIII: Once More Trying

"I tried so hard,
yet it was so weakly.
With all of might,
I got merely a feeling."

...............

Alden's POV

My legs carried me through the long and empty halls—the occasional man or lady in a similar-looking suit fleeting from door to door—stationary and paper carried in their neatly dressed arms.

There were a couple more pot plants on this floor than the last; we had stopped there to pick up a list containing several profiles of what looks like students, maybe.

I didn't question it.

Large, glass doors were surrounded by large, glass walls—giving our quietly walking pair a view into rooms with long tables and many chairs.

Meeting rooms, I'd say.

Each room we went by was empty—no topic inside being discussed by well-dressed leaders or politicians sharing their opinions to one and other about a certain issue or two.

Empty.

The carpet below our feet was a dark grey—presumably to avoid the staining but still with a classy look. Back at . . . home (what I've grown to know it as), the carpets are all beige, matching with some of the walls.

Valerie never really told me what this briefing we were heading to was about, the car just took us across town to a building like our own and dropped us off to come inside.

"We're almost there, Alden," she spoke to me, seeing my fidgeting hands as we walked through the halls, trying to put my state at some sort of ease, "Just a few more doors."

I nodded without saying a peep.

Meetings- or . . . briefings, have lots of people included in them, don't they? That's why I'm a little worried; since I've been awake, I have spoken, but not too many people at one time. I've mainly just spoken to Valerie and the nurses.

I guess I didn't like what they might whisper about me if I do something wrong; it's easier to control the opinion of a smaller group, Valerie told me.

My eyes crept over to her confident figure that strutted through the halls.

She said I was charming, right? That's a speaking thing, right? A confidence thing, maybe?

Finally, a few more doors had apparently passed as we walked and I thought—too stuck in my mind to notice where we now were.

When I looked to the room beside us, several people seemed to have made themselves comfortable on the office chairs—moving their bags to rest under the busy table and straightening the laptops and paperwork that sat before them.

Valerie turned back to me, hand on the rim of the door, her eyes meeting mine as she spoke, "If you ever want to interject an idea of yours, just raise your hand," she said, "This briefing is more of just getting you used to what we do around here."

I nodded my head and followed her into the room sparked with a few bright lights, faint chatter, and a lovely view into such a boring city.

Several of the people turned their heads as we stepped into the room. "Good afternoon, Val!" some said, their eyes occasionally switching to peer at me—drawing some confusion into the happiness of their tone.