Chapter X: Fellow Runaway

[Title by request]
(Since you guys didn't seem to like uninspirational poems, you get quotEs ù^ú)

"To be hopeless
is better than to have false hope.
Because if you fall,
you'll be more likely
to get back up."

...............

Arlo's POV

"W-what does that mean?" Claire asked, her mind rattling with the confusion of my almost sudden revelation I've now voiced aloud.

My words became intertwined with an out-coming sigh, "I honestly don't have a clue what this could mean. It was just a simple thought," I stated to the group, disregarding their worry.

Adrion placed his drink back down on the table and cocked a brow. "A 'simple' thought? You've been silent for the entire walk," he pointed out.

Remi looked toward him, "Well, he's never normally very talkative, but he was quite quiet, I must say," she said, placing the tip of her finger to the bottom of her pursing lips.

Remi's face then contorted into a frown, "What do you think, Seraphina?" she asked, twisting her head a smidge to face the girl—who had now grown quiet.

Seraphina suddenly stood from the table—her chair making a loud squeaking noise that startled almost everyone in the cafe and caused them all to peer at her trembling body.

Without even a mere glance back to the table, her legs hastily took her outside.

Sera's POV

I can't listen to them.

I can't take their false hope.

They didn't see him fall.

They didn't see him die.

My body quickly slipped through the streets, just barely dodging the concerned few people walking past me in a blur of smudged colours and faces.

Please.

Not now, tears. Not again.

The splitting wind blew into my face and howled past my ears, making everything cold and numb.

His body had fallen away from my grasp, and I had watched it do so.

He wasn't alive, and if he is,

Where is he?

I don't know how long I had been running, but it felt like hours—maybe minutes.

The number of people had now been thinned out, and the cars quietly buzzed past—lighting up the road as they went.

My legs forbid me from taking another running step, so I gradually slowed myself to a limp.

Now that my mind had settled, I could think, and . . . I noticed that nothing around me looked familiar.

At all.