Part Two

Cowboys

Part Two:

Jon wiped the sweat from his brow as he placed his pick fork against the truck.  Baling hay was hard work, but somebody had to feel the cows.  He took a glance around, taking in the land.  He loved this place.  The outdoors always appealed to Jon.  The sun was shining; the grass was green, flowing over hills. Visually, it was just striking. 

Jon took a deep breath, preparing to get back to work, when he caught sight of Levi.  Levi was another ranch hand.  His dark brown locks curling from under the brim of his hat, lean frame moving smoothly.  He was currently leading a resisting horse into the corral.  Wait, that was the new one, he had yet to be broken.  What the hell was Levi thinking? 

When Levi entered the corral with the horse, Jon made his way over. 

“What the hell Lev, you can’t break that horse in!” He held.

“Shut it, Jon.  You know I’m the best choice with Bryce off with Colt on vacation!”  Levi hollered back.

Sighing, knowing Levi was right didn’t make it any easier.  If anything were to happen…shaking the thoughts from his head, he picked up his pace to the corral.  They didn’t need to be yelling with all the animals around anyway. 

He watched as Levi mounted the horse.  The brown beast almost bucked him off before the man was fully seated.  Crap.  Jon’s nerves sky rocketed. 

To His surprise, though Jon knew Levi wasn’t that bad, Jon watched as Levi held tight. Moving with the horse, Levi anticipated its movements and acted accordingly. 

Just when Jon was starting to relax, the horse bucked left and then reared up, not allowing Levi enough time to adjust.  Levi flew off the saddle, landing hard on his side. His head slamming against the ground. The beast continued to buck, back and forth, threatening to trample Levi. 

Jon didn’t even think, he jumped the gate in a flash and raced to the man on the ground. Another hand saw the scene and distracted the wild horse on the other end of the coral as he made it to Levi.  His hands moved to touch, shaking with fear, but he knew better than to move the other man.  Covering Levis body to protect him from the horse still running around, Jon tried to assess the damage.  It looked like he was fine.  No blood. But one never knew, internal damage could be just as bad.

Levi moaned, opening his hazel eyes, blinking to try to clear his vision and focus.  He stared up into Jon's worried brown gaze.

“Levi?”  Jon whispered. “Can you hear me?”

“Unh, y-yeah.”  Levi tried to sit up.

“No stay down, Smith is getting the horse out. Tell me, you hurt bad?”

“Nah,” Levi said, trying to be strong, and then he moaned again.  “Shit, yeah…my head feels like it’s gonna explode.  Never even had a hang over this bad.” 

“Clear Jon!” Smith yelled, allowing him to help Levi to his feet.  They made it about half way when Levi yelped and started to drop again. 

“Lev?!”

“My freaking knee.  Shit. Shit!” 

Jon grabbed Levi around the waist, pulling the man’s arm around his shoulder, supporting his weight.  They made it to the barn and Jon helped him sit.

“Just let me sit for a minute, I’ll be fine.”

“Bull shit,” Smith said, seeing the way the man could hardly walk.  “Called the doc,” He said looking to Jon.