Chapter 2: Days at Dear Old Shiz

The doors of Shiz University swung open and Elphaba rushed in. She looked around the school with hopeful eyes. Students were mingling, getting their class schedules, talking with friends, and saying bye to their parents. Maybe Shiz would be different then Munchkinland. Maybe here everyone would accept her, or at least talk to her. She walked up to a group of girls, but to her extreme disappointment, the girls screamed. One even fainted and her friends dragged her away. She should've known. She turned around and almost ran into a munchkin boy she had seen one or twice before. He jerked back and ran the other direction. Soon enough, every student in the hall was staring at Elphaba. Well, if they were going to hate her anyway, why bother trying to fit in?

"What?" she asked. "What are you all looking at?" There was complete silence. "Oh, do I have something in my teeth?" More silence. Elphaba sighed. "All right. Let's get this over with. No, I'm not seasick. Yes, I've always been green. No, I did not eat grass as a child-" 

"ELPHABA!" The boom of her father's voice echoed through the hall. Elphaba turned to see him rolling Nessarose in on her wheelchair.

"This is my younger sister, Nessarose. As you can see, she's a perfectly normal color." Elphaba said.

"Elphaba, stop making a spectacle of yourself!" her father hissed, then presented a box to Nessarose. "A parting gift." Nessarose opened the box and gasped, pulling out a pair of beautiful jeweled heels.

"Jeweled shoes!" she gasped. 

"Nothing less for the future governor of Munchkinland." Their father stood up. "Elphaba, take care of your sister. And try not to talk so much." He turned and left the school. Nessa looked pityingly at Elphaba. 

"What could he get me?" Elphaba said. "I clash with everything."

"Welcome new students!" A old woman dressed in a glamorous dress broke through the crowd to address the students. "I am Madame Morrible, headshizstress here at Shiz University. And whether you're here to study logic, language, or linguification, I know I speak for my fellow faculty workers when I say we have the highest hopes for some of you." Her eyes landed on Nessa. 

"Oh, you must be the governor's daughter!" she said. "Miss Nessarose, isn't it? What a tragically beautiful face you have! And who is-" Her words turned into a scream as she turned and saw Elphaba. Elphaba sighed.

"I'm the other daughter, Elphaba. I'm beautifully tragic." Madame Morrible searched for something to say.

"I see." she finally said. "Well, I'm sure you're very bright." A pretty blonde girl scoffed.

"Bright? She's phosphorescent." All of the students within earshot laughed. Madame Morrible quickly changed the subject.

"Now, regarding room assignments." Elphaba stepped forward and raised her hand. The blonde also raised her hand. To no one's surprise, Madame Morrible addressed the blonde first. "Is this regarding room assignments?"

"Oh, thank you for asking, but I've already been assigned a private suite." The blonde answered. The students groaned. "But you all can come visit me whenever you want!" The blonde said with a smile. Two girls stepped forward.

"How good of you!" The first girl said.

"You are so good!" The second girl said. The blonde smiled bigger.

"No I'm not!" she joked.

"Yes you are!" The girls said.

"Now stop!" The blonde said and tossed her hair over her shoulder.

"Do you have a question?" Madame Morrible asked, irritated.

"Oh yes." The blonde said. "I am Galinda Upland, of the Upper Uplands. I've applied to your sorcery seminar. Perhaps you recall my entrance essay, "Magic Wands: Need They Have A Point?"" Madame Morrible stared at Galinda strangely.