Chapter 1: No One Mourns the Wicked

It was a joyous day in the Land of Oz. The dreaded villain, the Wicked Witch of the West, was dead. Everyone was festivating, and all the Ozian citizens gathered at the Emerald City to hear a speech from their new leader, Glinda the Good. Everyone was dancing and skipping around. They were finally free from the terror of the Witch's reign. 

"Look! It's Glinda!" A man shouted, and everyone cheered as Glinda descended in her bubble.

"It's good to see me, isn't it?" Glinda said. The citizens cheered again but Glinda held up a hand. "No need to respond, that was rhetorical." There was a moment of silence before Glinda spoke again. "Fellow Ozians, let us be glad and grateful on this joyous day that goodness triumphed over wickedness. Good will always conquer evil." 

"Glinda!" A woman interrupted. "Exactly how dead is she?" Glinda was slightly surprised. 

"Well, there has been much rumor and specultation. Innuendo, outuendo, but let me set the record straight. According to the Time Dragon Clock, the melting occurred at the 13th hour, Western Vinkus Time, the direct result of a bucket of water thrown by a female child. Yes, the Wicked Witch of the West is dead." Everyone cheered louder then ever.

"No one mourns the wicked!" A man called out, and others shouted in agreement. 

"Glinda, why does wickedness happen?" A child asked.

"That's a good question." Glinda said. "One that even I find confusifying. Are people born wicked, or do they have wickedness thrust upon them? After all, she had a childhood. She had a father, who just so happened to be the governor of Munchkinland. She had a mother, as so many do. And like every family, they had their secrets. While her mother was alone, a strange man came along. They had a night together, and soon after, her mother gave the exciting news that she was expecting a child. But of course, from the moment she was born, she was, well, different. For you see, she was born with skin as green as the Emerald City. Her father hated her from first sight, so you see, it couldn't have been easy." Everyone was silent. After a moment, Glinda spoke again. "Well, this has been fun, but I have many matters to attend to, what with the Wizard's unexpected departure-" She was cut off by a woman.

"Glinda! Is it true you were her friend?" People gasped and Glinda froze. 

"Well, it depends on what you mean by friend..." she said, then took a deep breath. "Yes." There was instant uproar. "Well, we were acquainted. That is, our paths did cross. But it was a very long time ago, and we were both very young." Memories flooded Glinda's mind as she began the story.