1.3 Sapere Aude

I won

I won. Barely. Judge Foley was very taken with Spencer's remarks and was heavily swayed to side with him, maintaining that the prenup was valid until I made a comment about multiple love affairs and illegitimate children, something that Sergei Luzhin took offence to. 

Affronted by the allegation, Sergei muttered loud enough- in English-  for us all to hear, "It was just the one illegitimate child, actually."

Judge Foley caught the statement and arching his eyebrow skywards, smirked. Moments later, while I was still midway through my pre-prepared speech, the judge held up his hand to stop me. "I think we've heard enough, Miss Fletcher. By his own earlier admission, Mr Luzhin fathered at least one chile outside of wedlock, breaking clause seventeen point eight of the prenuptial agreement," he said, looking down at his notes briefly. "'Neither party shall lay with another during the marriage, nor have children with anyone other than their spouse.' With this in mind, it would seem unfair of me to uphold the agreement for one party and not the other. 

"I concede, Mr Cody, before you surely remind me, that clause seventeen point thirteen is also in contention, notably that the wife will be dutiful and honourable," the judge continued. "However, it is my sincerest belief that Mrs Luzhin was dutiful and honourable to her husband and the frequency of sexual relations decreased only after Mr Luzhin had broken his marital vows first. Therefore, precedence to disregard the agreement lays with your client, Mr Cody. This is my decision and it shall be thus. The court administrator will arrange another hearing within the next few days. I hope this allows both parties to come to an agreement within that time and that it can all be resolved in a timely and amicable manner. Good day to you all."

Still, a win was a win. The hard work, however, starts now. Within moments of leaving court, Carole emailed out that we would reconvene in a week, reminding both Spencer and me that it is the judge's sincerest hope that a resolution is found in the days between. Naturally, that's easier said than done. Thrilled with the perceived win today, Nadezhda is hellbent on getting as much of her husband's assets as possible; she and Anton are already compiling a list of what they were hoping to get. 

Feeling slightly sick that my client was seemingly money-grabbing, I rush to catch Spencer before he leaves court, wanting to congratulate him on a well-fought argument. Honestly, it is hadn't been for Sergei, I don't think I would have got the upper hand. 

"Spencer-" I start.

"Look, I'm really in a rush, Seraphina," Spencer says, cutting me off abruptly. Rubbing his temples, he spins to face me and grimaces. "I have that flight to catch. I'm headed out of town for a few days which, now that I lost today's battle, is rather unfortunate timing. I'll have all my works gadgets with me while I'm in Scotland so I'm sure we can Parley. I'll send you a dialogue later. Oh, and just in case there's any doubt, I do intend to win the war. See you soon, Seraphina."

And with that, Spencer strutted out the court, down the steps, and smoothly slid into the backseat of the town car that had been waiting for him. As the car pulls away from the curbside, I mentally kick myself that I'd allowed Spencer to dictate how our negotiations were about the go; the first rule of a negotiation is to be the one in control. You set the pace, the location, the agenda. The second you concede that to your rival, you lose.