𝟬𝟭 hard times

chapter one,hard times

chapter one,
hard times

            ANNA RETURNED TO THE CAMP shortly after her brief exploration around town. The camp was currently situated in Scarlett Meadows, upon a fresh batch of land enshrouded by thick woodlands that dragged on for miles across the valley. The gang seemed to be pretty well hidden which, in turn, would allow them to be safe from the law for at least a few months. But quite frankly, Anna just hoped that they wouldn't have to move for a very long time. She always dreaded the effort of having to suddenly pack up and leave, only to get herself settled into a new campsite whilst ridding herself of any feelings of homesickness.

        Indeed, it was always a terrible feeling to endure and there was no doubt that Anna missed the previous camp spot dearly. But hopefully, as time would pass, she and her allies would learn to love this one a lot more than the former.

        As of now, the camp seemed to be pretty much empty with only herself and two of her fellow gang members, Maverick and Ellie, currently present. The group consisted of five remarkable people: Elijah, Anna, Maverick, James and Ellie.

        Elijah Thornhill was the eldest and the leader of this gang, courageous and notorious in every way. He was only sixteen when he and Anna first arrived in America and was quick to resort to a life of crime, making plentiful enemies in the process. And if that didn't sound bad enough, he now had almost every bounty hunter in the state looking for him. As of today, there is a great reward for anyone who dares to turn in the infamous outlaw. 

       Alongside Elijah was of course his younger sister: Anna Thornhill. If anything, Anna had only her brother to thank for all that he had done for her over the years. After all, he was mostly responsible for her upbringing and helped Anna become who she was today. They became each other's only family when their aunt passed away and vowed to look out for one another from the moment they both ended up in an orphanage in Seoul. On the whole, Elijah was Anna's best friend, her partner in crime and together they were unstoppable. 

       Then along came Maverick Young, a courteous gentleman all the way from England. Just like the Thornhill siblings, Maverick was an orphan and would learn the workings of this world through his grandpa. He considered him a great friend, who kept him safe and supported him throughout the years, even when Maverick went on to secure a job at a local bakery—where he began to express a fervour for baking and very soon after: cooking. His grandfather eventually fell gravely ill and passed away in due course, leaving Maverick alone and riddled with grief. Maverick had no family left—at least, not any that he knew of. The thought was what made him leave England for good. To be able to get away and start fresh in a new land sounded like the right thing for him to do. And so, Maverick would spend the next few weeks taking up longer shifts at the bakery. It wasn't long before he saved enough to set sail to America, soon finding himself settled in a small cattle town named Valentine. And little did Maverick know that his life was destined to change forever from the minute he befriended a certain pair of outlaws one night in the saloon.