The new engine

The summer sun shinned over the island of Sodor.

Sir Topham Hatt was in his office doing paperwork when he heard a loud commotion coming from the platform. Confused by what was happening, he looked outside and noticed a large crowd of people looking very upset. They held large bags filled with luggage.

What confused Sir Topham Hatt, was that their were no trains in the platform. "How peculiar." He said as the stationmaster came into the office looking worried.

"There's trouble in the shed, sir," he began, "Henry is sulking, the train is not ready, and everybody is complaining about what a bad railway this is."

"Oh bother. Well that explains the crowd," said Sir Topham Hatt, "Let's go set this straight."

When they got there they found the three engine drivers standing in front of their engines.

"Come on Henry," said Sir Topham Hatt, "It's time for your train and your engine isn't even in steam."

"I refuse to go," said Henry indignantly, "We're sick of how we've been treated."

"That's right," said Gordon, "We refuse to use our engines to fetch our own trains. That's what Thomas and his engine were for."

Not long ago, Thomas had saved James from a nasty accident and was given his own brach line to run. This resulted

"Right," said James, "You fetch our coaches and we will drive them. Tender engine drivers don't use their engines for shunting."

"Oh really?" Said Sir Topham Hatt, "We shall see about that! Employees on my railway shall do as they are told."

With that he got in his car and headed to Wellsworth. "Things just haven't been the same since Thomas left to run his branchline."

He reached Wellsworth to find Edward using his engine to shunt trucks around the yard and into their proper sidings.

"Leave those trucks here, Edward," he told him, "I need you to push coaches for me at the big station."

"Right away, sir," said Edward, "I could use a change in scenery."

"Good man," said Sir Topham Hatt.

With Edward handling the shunting the main line drivers finally agreed to go back to work, and everything went back to normal. The peace didn't last long, however, and within a week Sir Topham Hatt noticed that Edward was starting to look depressed. Gordon drove past him and made his engine blow steam at him.

"Goodness gracious!" said Sir Topham Hatt as he tried blowing the steam away "What a noise!"

"It's the same with the others as well," said Edward, "They say that tender engine drivers don't use their engines for shunting! When will they learn that we are all the same?"

"I don't know, Edward," said Sir Topham Hatt, "But even so we could do with another station pilot. Fortunately I have an old engine I've needing to put to use. I just need someone to act as the driver." Sir Topham Hatt said.

The engine was old and rusty. It hadn't been used in years. But Sir Topham Hatt believed it still had a good use.

Sir Topham Hatt now needed to find a driver. He then remembered something an old friend said to him. "Thanks for help Topham. I own you a favor. If you ever need something, just give me a call."

"I might just do that." Sir Topham Hatt said as he went to his office and picked up the phone. "Hello? Mr William? Yes this is Sir Topham Hatt. I was wondering about the favor you own me. I'm ready to cash that in." Sir Topham Hatt said over the phone and proceeded to explain the situation.

"What I'm trying to say is, I need an engine driver." He continued to explain.

"Well Topham, your in luck. I just so happen to know a driver. He doesn't have much experience but I was very impressed on the training course. I'll send him over right away." Mr William said.

"Wonderful." Said Sir Topham Hatt

The next day

Sir Topham Hatt and the station master waited at Knapford station for the new driver. Soon Bertie the bus driver arrived with a (short/average/tall) male. He was skinny with a little pot belly, (hair color), (skin color.), and (eye color.). He was dressed in (favorite outfit).

The male looked around and looked at Sir Topham Hatt. "H-h-h-hello." The male said nervously.

"Hello. I'm Sir Topham Hatt. You must be Y/N L/N. William has told me much about you." Sir Topham Hatt said and shook Y/N's hand.

"I'm sure you'll find your stay and rather nice one." Sir Topham Hatt said as he took Y/N to his train.

" Sir Topham Hatt said as he took Y/N to his train

(Picture it older and rusty)

"I know it's not in the best condition. But this one had done some good in the past. Perhaps it's time to take it out of retirement. Don't you agree?" Sir Topham Hatt said to Y/N as they looked at the old train.

Y/N simply nodded nervously as he got on the train. Sir Topham Hatt and the Station master got in as well to observe Y/N and make sure he was ready for the job.

They first practiced driving

Then stopping

Shunting

However, there was a problem as they were doing this. It wasn't Y/N, it was the engine. It kept stopping at random, making old clinking sounds, and wasn't releasing steam properly.

Soon they got to the last part of the test, pulling. "This should be the last one we have to do. Then we'll be ready." The station master said as the train was hooked up to a few freight cars.

Y/N started up the train and it began pulling. Then there was trouble. The train suddenly stopped but the wheels were still going. The clinking sound in the train started getting louder and louder. Then the gears started glowing bright red.

"What's happening?!" Y/N panicked. Sir Topham Hatt didn't need to look twice to know what was happening.

"Everyone run! It's going to blow!" Said Sir Topham Hatt. He, Y/N, and the Station master immediately ran out of the train. Just in time too.

The train then proceeded to explode. Luckily nobody was hurt. "S-s-sorry." Y/N said. "It's not your fault. That engine was just old and we pushed it too far." Sir Topham Hatt said.

"Y/N your hired. But now we just gotta find you a train. Edward will take you to your new home where you can get settled in. And tomorrow we'll find you a new engine, and perhaps a another employee to help you." Sir Topham Hatt said as he was thinking of what he was gonna do.

But that's another story.