Chapter 22: The Truth

Chay led the way out of the school, taking them out past the library instead of cutting across the courtyard. They passed only a handful of people and all of them at a distance. Fiona wondered where they were headed while she did her best not to fidget at the time she could be spending doing more research. While she’d agreed and understood the need for having a break, it was still difficult to not be working towards waking Meredith.

            They passed beside Water dorm, finally emerging near the end that lay closest to Fiona’s dorm. Instead of heading towards Flesh dorm, Chay turned them the opposite direction, heading towards the water. In a few moments, Fiona saw what it was she guessed they were heading towards. A small bench lay along the top of the clear edge of the rocky cliff. Below it lay the blue expanse of the sea, the waves almost gilded with the golden light of the sinking sun.

            Chay gestured towards the bench and Fiona sat, having to admit that it was a spectacular view. He dropped down beside her and smiled. “This is one of my favourite spots on campus. Though it’s popular with Water dorm, so there’s people here a lot of the time.”

            Fiona nodded. “It’s beautiful.”

            He grinned. “I’m glad you like it.”

            For several seconds, neither of them said anything. The sun was warm on them, a light breeze keeping it from being too hot, while the distant rush of the waves mixed with the birdsong around them. For a few moments even Fiona was able to relax.

            “Fiona?”

           She turned to meet Chay’s grey gaze. He was watching her intently, his hands clasped loosely in front of him. “Yeah?”

            “I…” he stood, abruptly, smoothing his hands over his pants.

            Frowning slightly, Fiona followed suit. She watched as he licked his lips, one hand jammed into the pocket of his jeans. “There’s something I want to ask you.”

            “Okay,” she said, wondering what it was that had him so worked up.

            “You see…” he shook his head and cleared his throat. “Fiona Wilde, I would like to bring you under my protection and hope that you will agree to belong to me.”

            Fiona’s eyebrows rose, but her reactive reply was interrupted by Chay’s outthrust hand. In it was a kind of hair ornament she’d never seen. A small clip had a braid of blue, grey, and purple string attached to it, the end of the braid tied to a small grey feather. It was pretty, even if it was something she didn’t think she’d normally wear. “May I?” she asked, nodding towards the feather.

            Chay nodded. She took it and gently examined the piece, feeling the silky stiff feather. It took her a moment to realize that the feather must be one of Chay’s. She blinked, Meredith’s words about claiming coming back. For once the thought of her roommate didn’t immediately send her into a flurry of guilt and pain laden research.

            She looked up at Chay, who was watching her every movement. She glanced back down at the hair ornament. If this had been only a week ago, she’d have been happy, if a little worried. Now…

            Fiona mentally prodded her own feelings, trying to decide what she should do. On the one hand, she wanted to concentrate on her research, to focus solely on waking Meredith up. On the other, Chay was important to her as well. And he’s stood by her during this, even when she’d barely acknowledged him.