+9

Unlike the night before, there wasn't any loud moaning coming from Venice's side. I assumed that she didn't have any company tonight since she was in no shape to get too physical with her injured thigh. I was thankful that there was no one keeping me awake with over exaggerated screams of Venice's name. I thought about Michael and just how cute and afraid he was. He had gotten bitten by a feaster, which no one has been known to survive but him. Maybe through him, he could help the infected or help the government find a cure. He just might be the catalyst to end this whole thing. I hoped he was. All I wanted was to live a normal life and I didn't give a damn if I never came back to New York after all of this. Before this whole thing went down, New York was one of the best places to be in the States, but now it was the worse. I wondered how other people who were in other states close like New Jersey and Connecticut even felt about this. I would probably move as far away as possible.

The next morning, of course, I was awoken by a loud knock. I didn't complain or grumble. It was probably just Venice trying to get me up so we can go down to the lovely, privileged NYC Survivors HQ, where all the big boss men and women stayed on the very top eating shrimps and drinking wine as they waited for everything to be over. When I opened the door, I was surprised to see Fire. "Hey. You should get dressed. We can hit breakfast and then head to the HQ. Venice and Union are already in the cafeteria eating." Fire gave me a sweet smile as the sun peeking in from the blinds made her hair seem even redder.

I gave her a smile back. "Yeah, um, I'll be ready in a few." Fire gave me a nod and then walked down the hallway. I sighed as I shut the door. Today was going to be a long day.

"So, the kid has gotten bitten and hasn't shown any side effect," Union asked as we exited the Tower's protection. "That's crazy. He's like the chosen one. Maybe he can save us from this hellhole. I vote that they either burn or blow this damn state up once everything's back to normal."

"Asshole, that would cause mega radiation that would flow to other states and probably start a whole new epidemic," Fire said with an eye roll. She had her bow and arrow ready for any enemies. "And the fire would spread and it wouldn't be good for the environment."

"Well, excuse me for wanting this place to be destroyed. There's too much shit that has happened here. So many lives lost. So many infected, dying people." Fire rolled her eyes at Union, but didn't say anything. I walked beside Venice, and every now and then I would glance at her. She hadn't said anything to me today and I wasn't sure why. She probably was just tired. It was pretty early, a bit past 7 AM. The journey to the NYC Survivors HQ was going to be pretty long, and treacherous. It wasn't that the headquarters was a long ways away, but it was just that we had to be careful. There was a lot of bad spots that were by the headquarters. Feaster infested areas and areas that were ran by killer survivor groups were surrounding the building, so we all had to be on our guard.

"Sleep well," a tough voice asked me out of the blue. I looked up at the brown eyes and smiled a bit. She smiled, too.

"I did, actually. It was definitely quieter than the night before," I replied.

Venice chuckled a little and then gave me a curious look. "Do you really think that kid could be our chance to find a cure? I don't really believe it. I'm not going to get my hopes up just to get let down." I bit my lower lip before shrugging my shoulders.

"I'm not sure, Venice. They said they were working on a cure, so maybe Michael can speed up the process. I'm not getting my hopes up either. I'm actually a bit worried. If we go to the headquarters and tell them what's going on, what if they want to hurt Michael?" A frown became prominent on Venice's face. Honestly, she looked so adorable when she frowned. Those plump lips of hers turned down, almost made me want to kiss her.