Chapter 15

Soaring into the air, Jessamine kept forward, testing if Ambers could keep up with her as they soared above Lake Michigan. She flapped her wings even harder, going faster. Taking a glance over her shoulder, she saw that Ambers started to beat his red wings even faster as well. He was trying to keep up.

            She chuckled lightly in her mind, but she knew that he wouldn't hear it. When they were Dragons, the only way they could communicate was to send mental pictures. It wasn't a perfect means of communication, but it worked for them. They couldn’t form words with their mouths, but the only way they could ask the witches to help them was to get the mind readers and show them images of what they wanted to happen. Thankfully, the mind readers were able to get the messages.

            She sent a mental image of them, heading higher into the sky. She only hoped that he would understand it.

            Pushing her wings, Jessamine lifted into the air. Within seconds, she could see the skyline of Chicago; it shined brightly in the night sky. Chicago was the brightest star in the sky. An image in the eye of Ambers popped into her mind. It differed so much from hers. His image held so much more detail that she didn't even notice the first time. The image saw all the different shapes and sizes of the buildings and how the lights in the buildings seemed to be a star in a universe of the town. She could see the blurring lights of passing cars on Lakeshore Drive. It looked as if Chicago was its own little planet with its rings like Saturn; it's in its own galaxy.

            She was surprised at how much detail that he had absorbed within the first couple of seconds of looking at it. She was astounded. But before she could send another image back to him, she noticed that he decided to dip back towards the lake. Jessamine followed. Diving forward, she let her body drop like a rock towards the blacken water. She saw that Ambers was close to crashing into the water, but at the last second, he thrust his wings out, letting the wind catch on them. A smiled appeared on her face. It all just seemed to flow right out of him—it seemed as if it was ingrained into his brain and came out when the spell broke.

            Thrusting her wings out, Jessamine skimmed on top of the water. The water splashed and fell back onto the water like it was raining. Ambers was ahead of her, loving every moment of it. His face showed his emotions so much; Dragons’ faces were like dogs, whatever feeling they have, you see it on their face plainly. Dragons were like that. You show whatever emotion that they felt on their face.

            Within the next three hours, they flew around having fun. Ambers tried out his fire breathing and had fun. After they were done with the little test drive, they headed back to her house.

Ambers floated down and switched. It felt natural and real, unlike the last time. The last time felt as if his whole body was being torn apart from limb to limb and being put back together with the wrong pieces—like someone trying to fit a puzzle piece into another piece that wasn’t its companion. It was one of the most excruciating pains that he has ever experienced before in his life. However, this time around felt as if he just changed clothes. It was easy. He even remembered to put clothes on himself, just like how Jessamine pictured when they were Dragons.

            His Dragon-self felt so real and so much like himself. It felt as if he had it for his whole life. It was fun and utterly amazing. He didn’t know that he would’ve had that much fun. He felt all energized that he didn’t care what happened while he was asleep. All he cared about right now is how he felt. He felt giddy, witty, and happy. He felt euphoria, he swore that he was higher than cloud nine or any cloud for that matter.

            “So how do you feel?” Jessamine asked from behind him.

            He turned around and looked at her. “I can't describe it. It was beyond amazing.” He wanted to jump up and down and dance. He was so hyper. He didn't even want to go home. He wanted to go do what they just did once more. He didn't want it to end.