Chapter 3

Ella

                I spend time zoning in and out of consciousness. I’m not sure how much time has passed or for how long I’m staying awake for; it feels like I’m staying awake longer each time I open my eyes, as the drugs wear off. The rough vampire is still standing guard over us every time I open my eyes. There comes a time when I gain consciousness and there are now two vampires looking in at us, but they don’t notice I’m awake. It’s not O’Connor, I haven’t seen this one before. I force myself to stay awake and concentrate on what they’re saying.

                “You’ve got first pick, no one else knows about them yet,” the first vampire says.

                “Good. I want females,” the new vampire replies. I hear footsteps coming closer.

                “Go in and take a look if you want. They’re all tied up and drugged up anyway.”

                I hear the creak of a gate and the footsteps are so close now. I keep my eyes closed but listen intently.

                “That one, the blonde one.” My heart races as he says this, because I know Charlotte’s the only blonde girl in our group. More steps taken, and then I know they’re right beside me. Something, I think it’s a shoe, touches my face and moves my head roughly. My hair is pulled back from my face and I can’t help it, my eyes fly open widely in alarm. The stranger smiles down at me wickedly. “This one too.”

                “Good choices. I’ll get them ready. O’Connor!”

                I know I’m running out of time, so I begin screaming. "What are you going to do to us? What's happening?"

                Of course I get no reply, and O’Connor is beside me in an instant, with another syringe ready to place into my arm. And then my mind goes blank.

Casey

                After Lachlan left my room, I spent the rest of the day zoning in and out. I didn’t really sleep, but wasn’t fully aware of my surroundings at all times. I couldn’t find the energy to do anything, so I did nothing. Lachlan didn’t bother me for the rest of the day, only called out as sunset was approaching to let me know he was going out. I contemplated staying in for the night since he would be gone, but decided against it.

                So now I’m sitting on a swing in a park, watching other vampires pass me by in happy groups and couples. Some of them are heading to jobs, some are just wandering randomly. Nearly all of them are carrying Styrofoam cups that are filled with diluted human blood. Lockie and I are lucky enough to get full strength, even with the low levels of blood out there. One of the few perks of being Lachlan Munroe’s little brother. Maybe the only perk.

                I stay unmoving for the rest of the night and early hours of the morning. People don’t approach me, and I never make any attempt to interact with them. Even though things seem exactly as they were before the vampire outbreak, I can’t go back to the way things were. People still work now, have homes and friends and in some cases even families when parents changed their kids. It’s just all being done at night. But since I became a vamp, I’ve never had a job, haven’t done any study, and haven’t had any friends or a girlfriend. I’ve been living a pointless existence alone.

                I don’t really feel like tempting fate today, so I head home about 45 minutes before the sun is due to rise. I close the front door and head for the stairs to go up to my room.

                “Case, get in here,” Lachlan yells from our lounge room. I do as he says and stand in the archway that leads me to him. “I got you a present, to make up for yesterday. It’s in your room.” He stares at me expectantly, and I take that as a cue to leave because he’s done talking.

                I drag myself upstairs, wondering what he could have possibly gotten me. I don’t remember Lachlan buying me a present in the past four years. When I reach my room, I stand hesitantly in the door way, my eyes scanning my room for the gift Lachlan’s bought me. It only takes me a microsecond to see something, no someone, lying on my bedroom floor. I rush into my room and fall to my knees beside the body, even though I know very well now exactly what it is. I could smell her blood the second I stepped into my room, and now that I’m this close and concentrating, I can hear her slow, steady heartbeat.

                I flee from my room without touching her, back down the stairs and into the lounge room where Lachlan is still sitting as though nothing’s happened.

                “What the hell is that in my room?” I demand loudly, my voice shaking as I point up to where the girl is lying.

                Lachlan sighs. “I know you’re a sad excuse of a vampire, but I would have thought you’d have known what a girl is.”

                I bite my tongue at Lockie’s sarcastic remark. “Why is she in my room,” I pause, stumbling over the next word, “Alive?”

                This time he shrugs, clearly growing tired from this conversation. “For you to do whatever with; midnight snack, free pussy. Doesn’t really bother me what you do with her.”

                I begin rambling on incoherently. “How did you-? Where-? What is-?”

                Lachlan cuts me off. “I got a two for one deal.” He points up in the direction of his bedroom. “Now say thank you and piss off, before I take her back.” He looks back down at the magazine in his hands before he adds. “And keep her quiet when she wakes up, we don’t need anyone knowing they’re here.”

                Although I’m not sure if I’m thankful for the very alive girl in my bedroom, I say I appreciate it anyway and then go back up to my room. I stand outside the door for several minutes, trying to figure out what I’m going to do. My mind draws a blank.