Hanguang Jun the Hated

Soulmates can be enemies too. 

It was a hard lesson that Wei Wuxian learnt every single day, for eight years, after abdicating from the Jiang Clan. He had just wanted to live peacefully with the Wens, but no. The Chief Cultivator, the esteemed Hanguang Jun, would never leave him alone. Especially after having told him that they were lifelong companions.

 It all started with the Jin Clan forcing the Wens to submit unconditionally to non - violence, by prohibiting them from ever manufacturing or using weapons. Cultivation was forbidden too. Although Jin Guangyao and Jin Guangshan had already died, the Lans, who took over as leading Sect after them, still kept up this part of the agreement. When Wei Wuxian brought up the topic of the young blood in the Clan and their potential talent with the Lans, the children were whisked away to Gusu, for ‘correctional studies’.

To Wei Wuxian’s horror, Lan Wangji had even taken away his beloved A-Yuan. It was painful, to say the least. Since the tragedy of Koi Tower, Wei Wuxian would be driven insane by the resentment every single night, with no rest for him. His temperament began to worsen, and he almost attacked the next envoy that came to the Burial Mounds.

After repeated incidents, it was discovered that Wei Wuxian’s weak psyche enabled his powers to drive him to the brink of killing and destruction as a form of self- defense. By then, Lan Wangji had taken over as Chief Cultivator. As the strongest cultivator in the Cultivation world, it naturally fell upon him to control this untamed, delirious madman.

The solution to Wei Wuxian’s problem was an influx of strong, pure energy every time the spirits tried to take over, coupled with mind cleansing music. And who would be more qualified to do that than the Chief Cultivator? So began the regular visits of the Chief Cultivator to the Yiling Patriarch.

Now, it was no secret at all how much the two men despised each other. Wei Wuxian displayed open hostility towards Lan Wangji, and the latter was just barely concealing his own resentment. However, Lan Wangji was a responsible man, more concerned with the greater good, than his own needs. Even though the presence of the Yiling Patriarch annoyed him, he would still go to help Wei Wuxian every night, when the dark energy was the strongest. 

Thus, a delicate balance was maintained. Soon, Lan Wangji realised that Wei Wuxian was less likely to get nightmares and lose control if A-Yuan was nearby as well, so he would drag the poor boy with him every time he went to treat the Yiling Patriarch.

One evening, the Chief Cultivator arrived, but to the surprise of onlookers, he wasn’t alone: with him came carts full of jewels, silks, luxury items, and more. Such opulence hadn’t been seen in the Wen camp for eight years, so everyone came out to look. The loud noises of the crowd disturbed Wei Wuxian, who was tinkering with a compass in his forge. He stepped out, groaning. 

“Why is it so noisy? Is someone getting married?”

To his surprise, his sister was in front of the carts, looking distressed. “You are, A-Xian.”

Wei Wuxian took a moment to register what he had just heard. Then he burst out into laughter. “Jie, you’re hilarious! Thank you for the goods, and it’s so nice to see you. But you aren’t allowed to be here. Why don’t you go back, and take the goods with you? It’s not good for Madam Jin to be connected to the Yiling Patriarch.”

Yanli seemed to want to say something, but a man spoke from behind her: “Not the Jin clan. The Lan clan.”

Hanguang Jun stepped out from behind Jiang Yanli, and Wei Wuxian’s face instantly went from the picture of loveliness to a condescending sneer.

‘Why would the great Hanguang Jun want to help us? What ulterior motives could he have? Oh, a marriage, right? So you like a Wen girl from our camp and want to marry her?”

“Yiling Laozu.” The bitterness in Lan Wangji’s voice was evident.

“Do what you want. I won’t interfere, as long as you take the woman willingly. As a member of the Lan Clan, at least that much is expected.”

Lan Wangji looked exasperated. 

“It is not for a lady. It is for you.”

Time seemed to stop, as Wei Wuxian used his entire mental capacity to comprehend what he had just heard. “Come again?”

“Yiling Laozu, Wei Wuxian, you have been sanctioned a marriage by the Chief Cultivator.”

“But that’s you!”

“Mn.”

Looking Lan Wangji in the eye, Wei Wuxian questioned, “Fine, and who’s the poor person who must face the dishonor of marrying me?”

“Me.” His expression remained neutral, and any hope that Wei Wuxian held flew right out of the window. Heck, it even escaped town.

Lan Wangji said it like it was nothing, but the barely disguised hatred in his tone was implied. The crowd began to whisper amongst themselves. After all, most of the gossip of the Cultivation world was centered around these two figures, who represented wildly contrasting ideals and existences.

Wei Wuxian’s head spun as he tried to make sense of his situation. “Why am I, Wei Wuxian, marrying you, the Chief Cultivator, due to an order passed by you?”

“Your nightmares are getting worse. I can’t live here, so you must stay with me at all times, for safety.”

Wei Wuxian wanted to snipe back at him, but he couldn’t say anything.

“Whose idea was this?”

“The Lan elders.”

“And who will take care of the Wens?” Wei Wuxian asked, extending an arm, indicating the people surrounding them. The crowd hushed, anxiously anticipating an answer. 

Jiang Yanli interrupted their loud dialogue with a polite smile. 

“Me. A- Xian, Zixuan gifted me this piece of land. If only you let me, I will lead the Wens. Of course, that also means that the Jin Clan will provide for them, and help with taking care of them. However, the condition is that you agree to marry the Chief Cultivator.”

Wei Wuxian was brewing with rage. However, if he thought about it carefully, he could tell that this was a great outcome for the Wens. It would not only drastically improve their standard of living, Wei Wuxian also could be sure that they were in safe hands. The only problem was getting married. Why should he?

Lan Wangji interrupted his train of thoughts: “Don’t worry. After you are fine, you may dissolve the marriage at any time. For now, you are required to agree to being my husband.”

Lan Wangji handed him a scroll. He opened it, to find a letter of betrothal. 

Wei Wuxian swallowed down his pride and anger and forced a smile onto his face. He spoke through gritted teeth. “Since you seem to have my family’s consent, from today on, we are betrothed, Hanguang Jun.”

Just then, a little plump boy ran out from one of the Lan Carriages.

“Xian Gege!”

A-Yuan was ten years old by now, a healthy yet baby-faced boy. He ran straight towards Wei Wuxian and hugged him.

“Does this mean you’ll come back with us?”

“Not yet. I will go with you when I marry Hanguang Jun.”

“Mn. Sizhui, go and play with your granny.” Lan Wangji said in a strict but slightly softer tone.

The boy bounded off, not caring about anything in the world except the happiness that being with his Xian Gege brought him. 

“His name is Wen Yuan. Why do you call him Sizhui?”

“Sizhui is his courtesy name.”

Wei Wuxian gritted his teeth. Oh, how he hated this man!