4; Jump Scare

Just noticed that this never published

As it turned out, the searing heat hadn't just been a one time feeling. Each time I spent the night picking off these monstrous villagers, the pain returned.

With each sacrifice, Jashin's symbol was becoming engraved into my skin and soul, blending godly energy into my chakra. Kurama had confirmed it, my chakra now had three pathways mixing. Mine, his, and Jashin's.

Nothing gave me more hope and pride than to finally have some else to believe in me. It had always been me and Kurama, but now? Now I could seek guidance and support through this 'god of destruction'. Jashin became my everything. I prayed every day, even without a sacrifice, I sent my gratitude to him.

It hadn't affected my daily life of D-rank missions and sharp glares, so no one noticed. Especially with the bright smiles I could fabric with ease.

Every night I spent sacrificing vile humans to Jashin. I'd started easy, one per night, but now I can go through three or four. Panic was setting in the village; a serial killer on the loose was a reasonable cause.

"Naruto! You're late!"

I rubbed my head in a false shame. "But Sakura! My alarm clock broke!"

She simply hit me over the head, as she always did. It didn't hurt, nothing was worse than the villagers. I whined anyways, dramatically holding the spot she'd hit.

Kakashi popped up not too long afterwards, earlier than his usual time by an hour. Woah.

"You-! You're not late!" I squeaked out.

He couldn't have caught on. No, I had been careful, no one should know. I can't beat a jounin yet. Even with Jashin's own power coursing through my chakra pathways. Why would he be early, then? Why?

"Well now, my cute little genin, the Hokage has a special mission for you today"

Cryptic as usual. I hated that. I hated a lot of things about humans. Kakashi was alright, he was strong and as far as I knew, he'd never willingly hurt me.

I don't think he was aware of the favoritism. Sure, the village spent a great effort trying to revolve around 'the last uchiha', but I always wanted to believe that there were a few real people left. Kakashi was fading. He wouldn't be a person anymore soon.

I wish I could save him and allow Jashin to take care of his soul. It wasn't corrupt yet. Not truly, at least. That would be too hard though. Civilians were one thing, trained ninjas were another. Especially a jounin.

Maybe someday. Someday I can come back and free him. Maybe if Jashin allows it, I could keep him with me?

No point in not asking. The worst I could get would be a no considering how bonded we are now. As Makoto, I was Jashin's loyal follower. That came first.

As I followed my team into the Hokage tower, I wondered when I would see Hidan and Kakuzu again. They didn't seem to hate me.

"Team seven, welcome" I looked up, realizing that I was standing in line with my other teammates. I hadn't even been thinking about that...

'Don't worry, I made sure you didn't run into anything'

I smiled to myself, happy to have such a reliable friend. "Ne, what're we doing? An A rank? S rank? Double S rank?" I blurted out, trying to both stay in character and test out the waters.

"Shut up Naruto!" Sakura screeched. I winced at the noise, but kept my eyes on the Hokage. It seemed as though the man noticed.

He cleared his throat, "Unfortunately, no, you won't be getting a 'double S rank'. Team seven will be doing some mandatory testing"

Ah, so that's what their game was. 'Kurama?'

'Got it'

"Please take a seat, I'll be calling in Inoichi. This test will determine how mentally stable you'll be against genjutsu"

This will prove to be a little difficult after all. Inoichi might be able to see more than Kurama can block. Perhaps Jashin could help? Would his mixed chakra mess up the jutsu? They are aware of Kurama's, but they wouldn't be expecting Jashin's.

Then again if they found out that I had a newer chakra mixed in, no matter how well I hid it between Kurama's vast own, it would prove to be my downfall.

I had to be careful about this. Jashin couldn't be relied on for everything. I'm not that weak. Makoto can't be weak like that.

I could do this.

Word Count: 760