Chapter Four

LIFE AND DEATH

Childbirth was never safe, not matter the occasion; no matter how natural, how clean or how expected it was. It was something that very little females of any specimens could understand completely without feeling it themselves.

The Saints were summoned and received offerings in the moments Laura was waiting between contractions. The midwife took a peek under her nightgown and said they still had a long way to come, but at least the baby was in the right position.

Sankta Vasilka, patron of unwed women, was the first to have her symbol made on Laura's exposed shoulders with holy oil and some gold was left for her near the window. The symbol of Sankta Margaretha was made on Laura's belly, she was the patron of lost children and thieves – she was Katterdam's symbol in itself, it certainly was a good idea to leave her some wine near the fire.

"Sankta Margaretha will help your child find the way, dear," said Misses A, calmly. "No need to worry."

But Laura was worried.

Mister Hoult had not gotten home yet and Kaz was nowhere to be seen. If completely honest, Laura really wanted Kaz with her at the moment; she was scared and he was the only one that could understand half of hear fears, and if she passed and the child lived, then he would be the one to take of them.

But Mister Hoult still wasn't home when she couldn't stand anymore and just crawled around the room, women watching and supporting her as best as they could as they allowed her to do whatever her body seemed to command her to.

"Is time!" announced Misses A, peeking under the white dress once more.

Misses Hoult was behind Laura in a second, supporting her to her knees.

"Alright, dear, listen to me," said Misses Hoult. "You need to take a deep breath now. The pain is going to get worse."

Young Miss A was beside Laura in a second, a small, but thick piece of wood in her hands.

"Miss, you need to chew this," she said. "Is willow bark, it'll make the pain ease a bit. Just this piece, otherwise the baby can be affected or you'll bleed out."

Taking what she could get, Laura opened her mouth and chewed on that with all her might. She didn't care if she bled out, but she didn't want her baby to feel the affect – still, she didn't think she could take the pain that she was aware that would get worse.

The next contraction made her sob and arch her back against Misses Hoult's body.

"Push just a bit, just when the contraction comes," said Misses A.

Lavender was burned on the fireplace and a blend of rose oil and bergamot was massaged on her lower back.

A loud bark outside made Laura distracted and she looked to the window, but from position on the ground she couldn't see much.

"Is it Kaz?" she whimpered.

Philip was standing the next second, running to the window and gluing himself against the glass to see what was going on, almost dropping the gold. Though it wasn't very important, he apologized out loud to the Saint he did not believe in, but focused on the window soon after.

"Da and Kaz are here!" he announced.

Relieved, Laura allowed herself to cry openly. Kaz was there in time.

The contraction came, this time stronger and faster. She closed her eyes tight and pushed, back arching once more and all her weight going to Misses Hoult, who held onto her with great care. She couldn't stop herself from opening her mouth, a loud groan coming out deep from her throat.