Ch. 14 ~ Running Loose

I woke in the dark. I was back in the between except I wasn't. This was much darker now, it was empty, and it was raining. It never rains in the between.

I remember how I died. I remember what truly happened. Now all I have to do is take him down. I didn't know where any body had gone. I was alone and this when I needed them most. Good thing I'm strong.

I stood and ran, I ran into the nothing which became something. It became the lake. I ran to the Lucas' cabin and walked straight into the living room. Chris was outside smoking a cigarette with a bottle of alcohol in his hand staring blankly towards the lake.

I made my way towards the kitchen where I found Sierra cooking a grilled cheese sandwich in the frying pan. I looked beside her and saw three plates holding piles of other grilled cheeses. They were Xavier's favourite food.

I looked into Sierra's red eyes and saw my reflection. I was soaking wet. "Hello Tenley, we haven't seen you in a long time." She said in a monotonous voice.
"I know, I'm so sorry Sierra, for your loss. I can't imagine how it must feel to lose your only child." Her eyes filled with tears as she flipped the grilled cheese.
"It feels as if your heart has been ripped from your chest." I nodded in understanding.
"I was wondering if you got the photo I left for you." She nodded.
"I did, thank you for looking after my boy." I nodded and smiled.
"Anything for you and Chris. Did you see the photos from my last night here? They had something's that could really help me out in them." She plated the grilled cheese onto the tower of others and turned off the stove.
"I did, I've been investigating but nothing seems to make sense. Who was it in those photos Tenley? Why were they following you?"

I walked around the kitchen counter and stood in front of her. I looked into her tired eyes and leaned into her ear. "It was J.D. He was the one that killed me Sierra. He took my life away." Her eyes widened and she took a step back.
"You've documented your own murder case Tenley. Why am I the only one to see this?" I reached into my pocket and handed her a small pile of photos. "Because the collection wasn't finished." She spread the photos out on the kitchen counter and looked at them all.

One was from the security camera running outside of John's cabin, it was a frame of him following behind me. Another was from Xavier's camera, it was a photo of the lake yet it captured more than that. Across the other side of the lake was J.D holding me by the throat. That was how Xavier knew where to find me. There were multiple others that held more pieces to the puzzle.

"You- you solved your own murder?" I nodded with a proud smile on my face.
"And I would like you to take the evidence to the police." In the dull kitchen light I could see the tears rolling down her cheeks.
"Thank you Tenley. For all that you've done."

And then I was gone.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I stood a week or so later in my families old cabin. It had been rented out it a young couple with young children. I'm glad it got some good use. The couple were watching the midday news and I decided to join in considering today I was the headline. "Can you believe that it took the police so long to solve that poor girls murder." The young women had said.
"It's crazy to think that two years ago she was living here." The husband had said. They modded in thought not realising I sat behind them on their plastic bar stool.

The headline read 'teenage girls murder case solved after two years of no leads.' A middle aged woman came on the screen. She was a news reporter among many that stood outside of the local police department. I blocked out what she was saying as J.D appeared on the screen. He looked disgruntled and very displeased that he was being arrested. He was escorted into the police car as the woman said, "John Donaldson will be charged with second-degree murder unless found guilty of another charge. I'm Janet Mosey and this was the now solved murder of Tenley Harrison."

That told me that now was my time. Now is my time to say goodbye.