5

5

As they stepped out of the fireplace, the flames reaching out as though they didn't want to let them go, the old man held Toby close to his side. They had emerged in a large room where a group of people danced around dressed in the weirdest clothes Toby had seen. A group of four people sat in the corner, playing instruments and everybody seemed to be having a restrained good time. Beside the group playing music, Toby saw the largest, greenest tree he'd ever seen inside a house.

"A posh party? Look, they're cosplaying!" Toby suddenly realised how out of place the two of them would look in the room, hiding behind the old man and peeking out from behind the green dress. "We're going to get thrown out. I doubt they'd want someone like me crashing their fancy dress party."

"It isn't fancy dress." The old man laid a gentle hand on Toby's shoulder, pulling him out from behind him. "They won't see you, as long as you stand near me. Watch and listen."

The dancing stopped as the music came to an end and people laughed and clapped hands. The women had long, wide dresses on and the men wore stiff, black suits with wide, sash belts. Everything looked stiff, to Toby. Stiff and a little tense, as though the people wanted to enjoy themselves but held back from having too much fun.

One man, carrying a glass filled with some kind of alcohol, stood in the centre of the room, one hand held in a fist at the small of his back. He had a thick, dark moustache and had the air of someone important. As he turned on his heel, he coughed once and then twice, until all eyes fell upon him. Once he had the attention of the room, he raised his glass.

"Ladies and gentlemen, another Christmas has come to Orduway House and and soon we will pass from this year of eighteen-hundred and fifty-eight, to the year of Our Lord, eighteen-hundred and fifty-nine!" A polite round of applause accompanied his words and he gave a little bow. "Throughout this year, we have all profited from the good graces of her Imperial Majesty, Queen Victoria, long may she reign. With the acquisition of India to the Empire, we have all found new avenues for profit."

"And some jolly good servants, too, eh, Edward?" A large man to the side, rosy-cheeked and almost bursting from his suit, gave an exaggerated wink and laughed. The important man, Edward, glared at the large man. "Oh, do go on. Do go on."

"And, I assure you all that I shall continue to provide you all with fat purses and lavish dinners as we go on to the New Year." Edward held out his hand and a shy-looking woman detached from the crowd, linking her hand with his, and standing beside him, head bowed. "And with my darling, dutiful wife by my side, we will see even greater profits in the future. God save the Queen!"

"God save the Queen!" The entire room erupted with the same phrase, raising glasses and toasting each other.

Toby didn't understand half of what the man had said. He looked up to the old man, who lifted a hand, placing a finger against his lips and then pointing back towards the important man. The old man didn't look at Toby. He seemed fascinated by everything around them.

It all seemed so strange. Toby had never gone to a fancy dress party, but he didn't expect them to take it so seriously. All this talk of 'Empires' and 'Queen Victoria' and all the weird clothes seemed a little too much. He couldn't understand how they could have a proper party if they were all playing a part. Not that Toby had ever gone to a proper party. The closest thing he'd experienced was when friends of his Mum and Dad had come to their home. He hadn't seen a party since the divorce.

Another strangely dressed man walked through the crowd of party guests. He walked with even more stiffness than everyone else and, when he reached Edward, important man, he stood, stiff-backed, waiting for Edward to look at him. Edward had seen him, but he didn't acknowledge him at all for long seconds, then he made apologies to the people near him and walked closer to Toby and the old man.