Chapter 10 - Internal Affairs

Within fifteen minutes of my arrival in the garage, a sleek black on white cruiser pulled in, tires squealing as it took to turn to the garage entrance far too fast. Questionable driving for a police officer, but I can't say I disliked the fact that she had shown up early. The car pulled up in front of me and Reggie leaned over and popped the passenger door.

"Get in."

I stepped into the car, pausing a moment to gather my coat around my legs before shutting the door. Reggie was driving manually, of course I already knew that from the moment she pulled in. She was out of uniform, and to my surprise smoking a cigarette. I hadn't pegged her for a smoker.

"You don't trust autodrivers either?" I asked.

"It's not that I don't trust them, really, it's more that I like the feel of driving myself."

I laughed a little.

"What?" Reggie asked.

"Nothing. It's just that you remind me of somebody I know. So what is it that's so sensitive you couldn't tell me on the phone?"

Reggie smiled. "You really are just about the work aren't you? Gals like us gotta live a little too. Wait till we get to the bar, we'll order drinks."

I flashed her a stern expression. "Please tell me this isn't some elaborate excuse to sweet talk me?"

"No. I promise you you'll want to hear what I have to say, just try to get your mind off the stress for one little car ride."

"It's hard to de-stress when somebody might still be out to kill you."

"I'm union PD, somebody is always out to kill me. Like I said, gals like us..."

I tilted my head. She was right, of course. Civil cops were always dying mysteriously, usually because they had stumbled across something some or other corporation didn't want them to know. As a matter of fact, it was usually people like me who did the killing.

The car crossed the bridge into Oldtown, prompting me to ask where we were going.

"A cop bar," Reggie answered

"You sure it's a good idea taking me somewhere like that?"

"Just keep your head down and don't start anything you don't want finished," Reggie said. "Oh, and stick with me. Most likely case is nobody will bother you."

We arrived at the bar quickly. It was a run down basement type of place, down a flight of stairs in the sidewalk below what looked like an office low rise. I followed Reggie down the narrow stair, and once we got to the bottom I realized what Reggie meant by "cop bar". Still uniformed police fresh off duty filled the place, along with a permeating smoky haze and the smell of hard liquor. Some of them stopped to look up at me with various expressions of disgust, most ignored me. Maybe Reggie commanded more rapport than I had first estimated.

"Sit down," Reggie said, indicating a pair of seats at the bar. 

I obliged."Now. Why am I here?"

"Shhh, order first. It's rude to keep the bartender waiting."

I noticed the man behind the counter staring at the pair of us. Reggie ordered a plain beer. I ordered water. I had learned early on that alcohol did nothing for me besides make me feel ill and fill my mouth with a flavor I can best describe as burning piss. Reggie's drink arrived quickly, mine immediately. The water was unfiltered and bitter, but it beat booze.

"Now, listen. It's about your bosses at Hexadyn. Their internal affairs people have been snooping about you with the department." Reggie's tone of voice shifted from jovial to deadly serious all at once.