World War III

Scarlets POV 

Joseph carried me back to the funeral where I sat ever so silently. Joseph didn’t leave my side and just pulled me into a sitting down hug. I felt the belt marks on my behind every time we sat back down after singing a hymn and the response to that was to scrunch my face up in pain but I still made no noise. I had made my mind up, I was going to give Joe the silent treatment for belting my poor behind and I could tell from his gestures that it was working. The last hymn ended and people slowly bean to pile into nearby cars. 

“You want to go get ice-cream?” Joe asked 

I shook my head into a no. 

“Do you want anything to eat before you pack?” Nick asked holding my hand 

Again in response I shook my head. Maybe if I started a hunger strike? I thought. 

“Then what would you like to do?” Joe asked 

I looked into my black bag and pulled out my phone connected to headphones, Nick nodded knowingly Joe just turned away. I put on my black “Monster beats” headphones turning on my favourite song at that moment which was ‘Secrets’ by One Republic  

 “Scarlett?” Kevin asked, pulling my headphones down. 

I looked up and smiled seeing Jade my four year old niece run up to me giving me a hug. I looked down at that face of hers so young so innocent, nothing would ever happen to her if I or Kevin or Danielle could help it well anybody in the family for that matter. 

“You’re sad,” Jade said bluntly in a four years olds knowledge tone 

I nodded in reply so Jade kissed me on the cheek 

“Me and mommy and Daddy make you happy okay?” She instructed me 

I chuckled under my breath giving her a hug. 

“Jade, honey can you go to mommy, your uncles, Scarlett and I have got to talk,” Kevin smiled

“Scarlett will be happy soon right?” Jade asked with her four year innocent experience behind her 

“We’ll try Jade now off you go,” Kevin instructed scuffling her perfectly straight brown hair. 

Jade giggle and ran off I smiled to myself at that moment. Damn kids and puppies are my top two anti-depressants. looked around. Kevin and Joe sat next to me crossed legged facing in my direction, Nick was in the driver’s seat but he had turned the engine off and faced me. All eyes were on my next move. I shrugged and put my head down to start re-texting. Kevin snatched my phone away and continued to stare at me. I slumped down on my chair still feeling the after effects of Joes belting on my behind. 

“I didn’t know they changed to police interrogation room into Nick’s car,” I muttered under my breath 

“Scarlett Joe texted us about what happened in the bathroom, care to explain?” Nick asked

I shook my head into a no trying so hard to maintain silent treatment on them. 

“Scarlett that wasn’t a question apparently you spat, swore and you were extremely disrespectful,” Kevin explained 

I looked around I knew that there was an escape route of crying and just saying sorry but I wanted to see what they all were going to do if I didn’t cave. 

“Scar talk to us, do you need counselling for the grief that you are going through?” Joe asked 

I quickly shook my head into a no. Talking to a complete stranger about my feelings no way! It’s hard enough for any kid but with me the information would get leaked into the paparazzi and with my luck I would be considered weird for the rest of my life!