chapter ten

🐹💭 ៸៸

I haven't opened my cell phone since last night, and I still can't process what happened. I didn't expect to witness that with my own eyes. I thought we would surprise Ava for her birthday, but I was the one who was surprised.

I know I shouldn't feel bad but don't actions speak louder than words? it's hard for others to consider if that's precisely what they're showing, I have no right, but I'm sure Dylan already assured me before.

I was somewhat tired and bored of crying. That's why I decided to check my phone, and the first message that popped up was from Dylan. I opened my phone and read his message.

"I'm sorry, just please let me explain. Let's meet up, I'll send you the address and I'll wait for you there. I don't care how long you come. I'll be there at 8PM" and I immediately put down my cell phone. I needed to hear his side. I just can't hide and cry. I'm already getting ready because it's already 7:30 PM. I'll do this for me.

I decided to call Maxwell for help. My car is on coding so I can't go. He's the only friend I can call at this hour.

"Karina? How are you?" he picked up. "I'm fine, Thank you. I actually called because I need your help," I said straight to the point.

"Sure, I'll go there right now," Maxwell replied and dropped the call. I'm wearing my usual pants and shirt, and I just put on a coat; this will be fast, so I won't have to make an effort to get dressed.

When I got off the elevator of my unit, I immediately saw Maxwell standing outside his car. He approached me as soon as he saw me. He accompany me inside his car and started to drive.

I suddenly remembered that I saw him post our picture yesterday, but he deleted it as soon as I commented.

"Why did you delete it, we looked fine in that picture," I asked him, and he smiled.

"Just because," he replied

We were quiet, but he was still driving. It was never awkward with Maxwell since we have known each other for almost a decade, including our high school days, and till now, we have never lost connection. I've been thankful for him since then.

"I'm here if you are tired, you can lean on me, Rina," he said out of the blue. I always knew that everyone could leave, but he never left me. "Thank you, It's the same to you. I'm here" I smiled and tapped his shoulder; this guy deserves all the love.

We got to the restaurant right away, it was big and quiet, so maybe we will have a good conversation. I got out of the car and thanked Maxwell.

"Do you want to join us?" I asked. "No, enjoy your time. Call me if you need to," Maxwell smiled and drove away. I'm nervous, but I shouldn't. I shouldn't be worried because I haven't done anything wrong. As well as Dylan, I hope he's not nervous because there's nothing wrong with that. Maybe it's not good that I overreacted.

When I entered, I saw Dylan waiting at the table, he looked hopeless, but that changed when he saw me at the door, and he suddenly stood up in his chair to go to me.

"Hi Karina, Thank you for coming," and he brought me to the table. We sat down, and he was about to call the waiter when I suddenly stopped him.

"No need, I'm not staying long," I said.

"How are you, Karina? I never thought you were going. We're calling you the whole night and morning," He stated

"I'm worried about you" Dylan reached for my hand from the other table. I looked out the big window on our side to not notice my teary-eyedness. I removed his hand and laid it on the table. He looked disappointed when I did that.

"Let's make this faster, I just need to hear your side," I said strictly. I don't want to sound weak in front of him. Never again. I just wanted this to finish.

"Karina, please listen carefully. Ava and I are just friends, maybe what you were thinking when you saw us sleeping together on the couch was different but that doesn't mean anything" He held my hand, but I didn't bother to remove it.

"Ava needed my help that night. She liked someone but she found out that someone liked someone else."

"Is that reason enough for you to leave me alone and not even say goodbye?"

"Ava almost killed herself," he almost shouted out of frustration.

Did Ava liked another guy? I almost threw away our whole friendship just because of a misunderstanding.

"I never liked Ava, I didn't like her even when you left for another country because I still like you," He explained.

"You left me too, you're not the only one who became miserable after your accident happened" He is tearing up, and I can see the tears dripping from his eyes. We hurt each other for each other's safety and happiness.

"Do you know what happened to me after you ghosted us that time? I was miserable too, Dylan," I started, crying.

"I don't know where you are when I need your explanations, Dylan you left me, us and our friendship hanging" I also couldn't stop crying because of my emotions.

"Dylan, you could've updated us or appeared on us once, even once you didn't think to say hello to us."

"I can't, I feel like it's my fault what happened to you."

"Dylan, it was an accident."

"I'm suffering at that time, Karina. I can't."

"So shouldn't you show up to us more? I'm here, we're here for you, Dylan." Is Dylan scared of us? Does he think we can't understand him?

"I became the villain to my own story just because of you," I replied without thinking; I let my feelings decide what comes out of my mouth. "I felt betrayed, Dylan," I added, wiping my eyes.

"What happened to you? How can you be this kind of man I never wanted to have"

"Karina, I'm sorry for everything I've caused you," he replied. I appreciate him for saying sorry. But the part of my heart still hated him. It was never his fault I liked him, but he's still giving me mixed signals that I don't understand. Our relationship was toxic from the beginning.

"Dylan, I needed to go" I was about to stand up when he suddenly stopped me.

"That fast? How about us?"

"Dylan, there was never an us," I clarified. "I already heard your side so that's okay now. You broke me and that's already a lot of damaged," I stated, I know I have been harsh, but I don't know what to say for him to let me go.

"I should have protected you better," he started

"You know that I love you, that's why every decision you make is okay for me," and he let go of my hand.

"I hate you, Look at what happened to us," was the last thing I told him after that dinner. I regretted it all, and I wish I hadn't met him.