Chapter 43: Calm Before The Storm

Katniss' POV

I sit in the window seat, watching as the dead leaves tumble across the grass that's started to go into dormant for the winter, turning dull and brown. Peeta comes up behind me and kisses my cheek. He rests his head on my shoulder and gently rubs my stomach.

"Has our little one been causing any trouble for you?" He asks. I chuckle.

"Not anymore than they usually do. It's not like it can cause much trouble in there," I say looking down at my six month swollen stomach.

"I know, but I know don't like it when she moves. I can see it in your face," He says. I frown.

"I'll be alright," I say.

"Are you sure you'll be okay while I'm gone today? If you don't feel like walking to the bakery, I can stay home with you," He offers.

"I'll be fine Peeta! I know you are only trying to help, but ever since it first kicked, you've been hovering over me constantly. I need some space Peeta," I say getting frustrated. He won't let me do anything myself anymore.

"You're sure?" he asks. I sigh and get up, stumbling slightly under the weight of my stomach. I grab Peeta's arm and his coat and drag him to the door. I open the door and pull him onto the porch.

"For the last time, I will be absolutely fine. Now I don't mean anything by it, but go to the bakery and get out of my hair," I say. He starts walking off the porch and I stop him,"Hey," I say and he turns back to me, "I love you," I say.

"I love you too, Katniss," He hugs me and then leaves, walking towards town. I close the door and start wandering the house, already bored being cooped up in the house. Luca follows me around, never leaving my side as I wander through the house. It's like having a second husband constantly fusing over me.

I find myself outside the door of one of the vacant rooms in our house that lies right next to our bedroom. The door is cracked open and something seems to call me towards it. I swing open the door and am absolutely shocked by what I see.

Peeta has made me a nursery. The walls are painted in a beautiful forest scene on the walls and a beautiful oak cradle sitting next to a crib made of the same materials. There is also a lovely rocking chair and changing table. He has made a beautiful room for our baby.

"Oh Peeta," I whisper. I run my fingers across the walls, studying the delegate brush strokes. I feel the familiar jolt of my baby kicking and hold my stomach.

"Please don't kick. please don't kick," I beg. I feel another and slowly lower myself to the ground. I don't have Peeta to calm me down and I can feel the fear start to set in again. I try to think of what he would do. How he usually talks to the baby. Since its my best bet on calming down, I gently touch my hand to my stomach and fell the baby move slightly.

"Hi, this seems really weird. I don't even know if you can hear me. It's crazy to think you can but your Daddy insists you can. He also insists your a girl, so I'm sorry if your a boy. I just wish you would calm down. Every time you do this, I'm reminded about how scared I am of being your Mom. I don't know how to do this. Your Daddy is better at this then me. He's the one that's always wanted kids. Not that I don't want you. I'll never not want you. You were unexpected, but I'll never not want you. I'm just scared I'll never be good enough for you," I say. I get another kick in response.

"Would it help if I sing? It helps your Daddy whenever he has a flashback. I hope we never have to explain to you what that is but if we do, I hope you understand why we did what we did so you and the rest of Panem don't have to live the life we did," I get another kick in response. I think it over and then a song comes to me and I start singing softly.

"You know a dream is like river,
Ever changing as it flows
And a dreamers just a vessel
That must follow where it goes
Trying to learn from what's behind you
And never knowing what's in store
Makes each day a constant battle
Just to stay between the shores

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Too many times we stand aside
Let the water slip away
'Til what we put off 'til tomorrow
Has now become today
So don't you sit up on the shoreline
And say your satisfied
Choose to chance the rapids
And dare to dance the tide

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

And there's bound to be rough waters
And I know I'll take some falls
But with the good Lord as my captain
I can make it through them all

I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry
Like a bird upon the wind
These waters are my sky
I'll never reach my destination
If I never try
So I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

Yes I will sail my vessel
'Til the river runs dry

'Til the river runs dry"

I feel my baby settle as though soothed by my voice. I just sit there gently rubbing my stomach and humming softly, when I feel Luca nudging me with his nose. He's about half grown now and does like it when I'm upset.

"I'm okay Luca. I'm fine now," He licks my cheek and nuzzles into me, laying his head on my stomach.

"Are you jealous Luca?" I ask him. He whimpers and I scratch him behind the ears.

"I'd never be able to forget about you, Bubba," I chuckle. Suddenly I hear footsteps and Luca gets up and greets Peeta in the doorway.

"Katniss, what are you doing in here? I was gonna surprise you with this for Christmas next week," he says. He helps me up and I run my fingers across the wood of the crib.

"You left the door open. Did you make these?" I ask him. He shakes his head.

"Johanna sent them. The people of 7 wanted to thank their Mockingjay for everything you've done," he says wrapping his arm around my shoulder. I sigh.

"I wish they'd stop doing this. I never asked to be the Mockingjay. I only did what I had to do. Why does everyone think that's so great?" I say.

"Because it is. You saved everyone. If they want to give you things, it'd be extremely rude if we sent it back," he says.

"That doesn't mean I have to like it. Although it is a very kind gesture," I say.

"So you like the baby's room?" he asks.

"It's perfect Peeta. You've painted the calmest place I know. This is the most beautiful room I've ever seen. Thank you so much," I say kissing him.

"Do you think she'll like it?" he asks.

"She'll love it Peeta," I say, " Our baby will love it." And we stand there holding on to one another as I feel our baby kick again.

"Are you okay?" he asks, having felt the baby because of where his hand was on my stomach. I laugh and put my hand over his.

"I'm fine. I've figured out how to get through it. Without you here earlier, I was able to make myself deal with it. The baby kicking me doesn't bother me anymore. In fact, I kinda see it as our baby's way of talking to me. And right now, I think she wants me to tell you that she loves her room," I say kissing him. He holds me close as the winter sun sets and snowflakes begin to fall. Everything is perfect.

The only thing is even though I'm calm now, I'm still terrified of what's to come. This is only the calm before the storm.

------------------------------
Hey! New Chapter! Not a great one, but an okay one. Just trying to pass the time until the baby Mockingjay is born. I really want to make it special. Im happy you guys enjoyed my q & a and I'm glad you gave me your patience in waiting for this chapter. I hope to update again soon. Until then...

Thanks for 107k reads and like 4k votes.
Love y'all
Rock on!
-Kayla