Chapter 3 - Halloween wants to kill me

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 1

7:30pm, Angel Hostel

I'm sunken and I feel alone. It's not a new feeling; I've felt this way before. This is why I'm compelled to take a good look at myself. What the hell's wrong with me? I know I can't keep blaming situations, or other people for my problems. Am I tormented by some kind of karmic debt for past wrongdoings? Is there a darkness inside of me which needs to be released? I'm curious to find out if isolation will hurt or help me.

I have come a long way since being misdiagnosed with Bipolar Disorder six years ago. Back then, I was a sheep, blindly following doctors because I thought they were the only ones who could tend to my troubled mind. But now I see them for the fear-mongers they truly are. I believe humans are meant to live a natural and happy life, and there's no reason why a man cannot, excepting his own wrongdoings, be completely fulfilled in this.I refused to hide behind a theory about me that came from an out-of-touch doctor. I am a human, not a sickness. I may feel the suffering all around me, but I'm not a patient and I never want to be one! 

That's part of the reason I came here. No matter what I have tried I haven't been able to escape the black dog of depression that's chased me my entire adult life. I want to explore the natural remedies of the jungle because I don't trust the people who provide, and the companies that produce, prescription medications. I want to utilize what nature provides. I have found pure happiness before; I know it just as well as I know true pain. Now I want to figure out how to obtain the former and release the latter. 

Maybe feeling lonely is normal when you're traveling alone? Or maybe it has to do with the fact I'm really fucking hungover and I got ripped off by a bum last night. 

The first bar had rock and roll playing but the people were louder than the music, and the lights were too bright, so I went outside

The first bar had rock and roll playing but the people were louder than the music, and the lights were too bright, so I went outside. On the street I stood near some people who were smoking and I sipped on my bottle of beer. It was a warm night and a lot of people were dressed up to go out, but only a few people had on Halloween costumes. 

I walked down the street and a promoter handed me a ticket for free entry to the Discotechque Mundo. When I looked around I saw the bar was across the street. I went over and gave my ticket to the bouncer standing next to a velvet rope. 

He tore my ticket in half, handed half of it back, and pulled one of the double doors open to let me past him. Inside the door was a cement hallway lit with cool-green lights leading towards another closed door. The muffled sound of electronic music rolled past me as I got closer, and when I opened the door the music hit me right in the chest. 

I blinked a few times to adjust my eyes to the flashing strobe lights. In front of me was a huge open room, which on the far side was split into two levels. Downstairs was a dance floor surrounded with bars on all sides that had floor-to-ceiling mirrors behind them. Upstairs in the back, there was a balcony with tables with what looked like a more exclusive clientele than the level below. They were mostly men wearing nice suits with bottles of liquor in silver buckets in front of them. Some of them were schmoozing with girls that looked high maintenance and were probably high-priced.