Chapter Twelve ✰ Chase Huxley ✰

My eyes followed Atlas as he paced back and forth across the safe house. Ever since Atlas read the note, he's been in a state of distress, or at least a worse state of distress. Stress seems to be his default mood. Someone should tell him to stop worrying so much. He'll get wrinkles. I can't blame him for being upset. I'm not sure exactly what kind of dynamic they have. Are they more of a father and son type deal, or is Atlas his ward, like Batman and Robin? The one thing I know for certain is that Atlas loves him. You can tell by the concern etched onto his face.

A loud ringing sound caused me and the cat to startle. "What the hell was that?"

Atlas pointed to a small device mounted on the wall but didn't stop pacing.

"What is it?"

"It's called a landline. It's an antique communication device. I'm surprised it still works." Atlas signed as he continued pacing. He lit a cigarette and began smoking indoors. I swear he's going to start a fire at some point!

I unplugged my cybernetics from the charging port, and crept over to the communication device, the landline, as Atlas called it. I picked it up and pressed the speaker to my ear.

"You've officially lost your damn mind, Chase!" A familiar voice shouted on the other end of the line.

"Mason! How'd you find me?"

"That's not important right now. We need to talk about your reckless actions."

I reflected on my life decisions. "Which ones?" I've taken so many reckless actions, I'm not sure which ones he's referring to.

"I'm talking about you participating in an Ikigai Cybrawl!"

"Oh! That reckless action! Thanks for clarifying. Did you know that everything is allowed in an Ikigai Cybrawl? How is that even legal?"

Mason let out an aggravated sigh. "Yes, I did know that."

"Am I the only person who didn't know?"

Mason didn't answer my question, all he said was, "How is it possible for someone to be as stupid as you?"

"Is that rhetorical, or do you actually want to know?"

I could practically hear him facepalm on the other end of the line. "You're going to get yourself killed for real this time. The car crash should've killed you, but life gave you a second chance. Don't waste it." 

"What do I have to live for, Mason?" My eyes stung with the threat of oncoming tears. "You've seen what I look like now! Everyone has! My life can never be the same again."

He went quiet. "There are worse things in life than being a cyborg, you know?"

I sighed. "I guess for some people, but I'm a model, I'm supposed to be perfect."

"Oh, I forgot, you think look cyborgs creepy and gross." His voice dripped with disdain.

"Not all of them." My gaze drifted to Atlas. "But my opinions are irrelevant. Regardless of what me, you, or anyone else thinks, no one in the industry will hire a cyborg model. Especially not one with a messed up face."

"How do you know that?" Mason argued.

"Because it's never happened before. No cyborg has ever made it big in the modeling industry."

"So, you're giving up before you even try?"

"I guess I am." 

"I understand you're going through a bit of a crisis right now, and you're trying to cope the best you can, but you need to find a better outlet for your grief."