Chapter Eleven 𑁍 Marisa Contreras 𑁍

"Where is he hiding? Tell me where he is!" The cyborg demanded.

"I don't know." I choked out.

The cyborg eyed me with a scrutinizing glare, trying to discern if I was lying.

"I swear I don't know where he is." I tried to break myself free from the cyborg's grasp, but their mechanical grip was too strong. As I was struggling, I caught a glimpse of the cyborg's Bionic corp I.D. Pin. Cyborg 11120189141: Oblivion.

The cyborg caught me staring and threw me to the ground. They crouched beside me and whispered, "If I find out you're lying—"

"You'll kill me?" I mumbled.

"No, I'll kill Atlas."

I let out a humorless laugh. "Am I supposed to believe you'll let him live if I tell you where Patch is? He's an army deserter. You'll probably kill him, no matter what I do." My heart pounded as I spoke. I was shocked by my boldness in the face of my assailant.

"Unlike your uncle, Atlas is useful to us. We'll keep him alive as long as he serves a purpose. If you tell me where Patch is hiding. I can ensure your brother's safety for the foreseeable future."

"You're asking me to choose between Patch and Atlas?"

Oblivion nodded.

"It's like I already told you. I don't know where Patch is."

Oblivion shot me a menacing glare. "You had better be telling the truth. You know the consequences of lying to me." They grabbed a fistful of my hair and yanked my head up, so we were eye to eye.

"I swear, I have no idea where he was going!" I cried.

Oblivion released my hair and sent me tumbling to the ground. "I'll see you again soon, Marisa. They threw a smoke bomb and a cloud of thick haze filled the apartment. I coughed violently, trying to clear the smoke from my lungs. I opened a window to help clear the air. When the smog evacuated the area, I surveyed the room. Sure enough, the cyborg had disappeared along with the smoke.

A bizarre mix of rage and terror flashed through me. My home was supposed to be my safe place. Nothing was supposed to be able to hurt me within the walls. How dare someone intrude into this space! Now nowhere is safe. I paced back and forth across the kitchen floor, massaging my aching scalp. What should I do? What should I do? What should I do? The question raced through my brain on repeat at the pace of my racing heartbeat. I tried to take deep breaths and relax my muscles like my therapist taught me, but it didn't calm my increasing anxiety. I tried to call Atlas four times. He didn't answer. My heartbeat sped up, along with the speed of my thoughts. What should I do? What should I do? What should I do?

Venus cautiously slunk into the kitchen. Her gazed darted around the room, as she searched for any sign of danger. She visibly relaxed when she saw no one but me. She let out a gentle chirp and pranced over to me.

I ignored her and continued thinking. What should I do? What should I do? What should I do?

She sat near where I was pacing and stared up at me expectantly.

I wish I had a way to reach Atlas. He'd know what to do. My gaze drifted to the cat. It was a long shot, but there could be a way for me to send Atlas a message.

I scoured Patch's workshop for something I could write on. It was difficult because most people saved everything digitally, so paper was almost obsolete. I found an old instruction manual for a vacuum cleaner. I ripped out a page and scribbled a note on the back. I need your help, Patch is in massive danger! I'm coming to find you. —Marisa My hands trembled so violently as I wrote, I almost dropped the pen. I did everything in my power to stop myself from another full-blown panic attack. I didn't like it, but I had to leave the apartment. Bionic Corp knows where we live now. Patch said it was only a matter of time before they found us. I didn't want to believe it was true, I wanted to believe I was safe here, but I was wrong. Patch is in danger Atlas isn't answering my calls, and I'm running out of options. My best hope is to venture outside the apartment and try to track down Atlas.