19: Collaboration

Cory stared at him with a pleasantly authoritative look, it recalled Leo of the gaze his father often gave him. Leo looked away softly with his hands tightening around his wet body.

"Here." Cory walked up to him with a dry towel. He reached for it and begin to dry up while Cory left for his room. Leo took off his shoe and secure the bag to a corner. Seconds later he saw Cory descending the stairs with pieces of clothes. He got closer to him and held it out with a small smile.

Leo looked up timidly. "I'm fine. I-i can just stand here, wh-when the rain c-cease, I'll go back home." He stuttered from the cold.

Cory's smile mingled to a grin. "I know, but you're shivering, you need to survive if you ever want to go back home."

He bite his lips, debating inwardly.

"You can use the bathroom upstairs. The first door you see when you step into the hall." Cory further added.

Leo reached for the cloth and started off. He climbed the stairs according to Cory's instructions, he found the bathroom and changed out of his wet clothes, he noticed how the floor was neat and the toilet too, it smelt like roses. He returned to Cory in the living room with a more relaxed look.

"I'll put those in the drier, you can make yourself at home like I already said." Cory said while grabbing his wet clothes. Then he left without more words.

Leo grabbed his bag and pulled out the home works which he started on immediately. Cory came down from the stairs and headed to the kitchen.

Half way through the home work, Cory walked to the sofa, placed two cups on the coffee table and sat back. "Busy?" He started while reaching for one of the cups. "I made hot chocolate."

"Yeah." Leo replied with his gaze glued to the sheet.

"Why so much? What grade are you in?"

Leo looked up softly, "yeah, I'm just catching up on some late works." He flashed a fake smile before returning to his task.

"I see." Cory leaned further, causing Leo to look up with wide eyes when he saw the man was trying to read the questions. He might be one of those neighbors who thinks they're looking out for their neighbor's kid by reporting how much work the receive and how it can affect their health, and it would back fire, so tragically.

Leo cleared his throat as he shuffled the sheet from Cory's peep. "I was just finishing." He grinned and started to pack up. Cory gave him a puzzled look.

When his stuff was in the bad he pulled out his phone, no message, no call. He thought of how his brothers should be asleep in their warm home depriving him from the cozziness.

"What?" Cory finally asked when he noticed the worried look on his face.

"Uh, my sister is held up in traffic, she might be late." Leo poured out before dipping his phone into his pocket.

"Oh." Cory's voice was neutral.

"Yeah." Leo added before silence settled in, that was when his fears started to sink in, Cory was watching him without a word, his ash colored eyes scrutinizing him softly.

Leo cringed inwardly and pretended not to see the man.

"What's your name?" Cory asked finally.

Leo met his gaze with caution. "Leon." He croaked softly.

"Leon. Lion. You must be brave," Cory said with a smile, Leon was forced to return.

"Why don't we play the xbox while waiting for your sister?" He asked. The word sister sounded odd coming from Cory almost like he didn't believe the invention.