The Cupid Touch Chapter 8 - Magnetism

Joe was strangely silent for a good ten seconds. And let me tell you that ten seconds of waiting to be mocked is a really long, frustrating time. I had plenty of time to brace myself for his sudden dislike, and even time to count four heart-beats. Which just goes to show how anxious this waiting-game made me.

I watched his eyes strobe around the room, and a small nod. Then he opened his mouth to say something, and of course, our food arrived.

The young waiter really made an effort. I'll give him that. But for all the effect his questions about sauces and cutlery had on either of us, he might as well have been a background TV. Because as Joe-Moe raised his eyes to speak, that same instinctive understanding crossed the gap between us. And for some reason, I could see that he believed me. 

Once our waiter had "enjoy-your-mealed" away, I ended up talking first.

"You're supposed to laugh," I said, taking my feet off my chair so I could lean toward him. "Come on, Joe. Follow the script."

I wonder if he could hear that my voice was shaking. I could darn-well hear it. 

"When did it start happening?" he asked, leaning toward me too. I was still cold - still shivering in his hoodie - but I could feel my face heating up with the proximity. 

"Are you serious?" 

"Why not?" he asked, with a small smile. "Come on. Tell me."

It's funny how many times I'd practised saying this to people. It's been something I've wanted to share for most of my life. But it was so unexpected actually being asked that I couldn't figure out how to make any sense. 

"Since my Dad - he died. I guess that was it."

Joe-Moe narrowed his eyes, considering. "You missed him? And you wanted your Mom to find someone else?"

"Yes." It was a whisper. I hadn't even had to explain.

"Could you do it on purpose?" he asked, glancing around the diner with an expression I could only describe as eager.

"As an experiment?" I asked him. "Do you think that's fair on anyone?"

"Who's going to mind finding the love of their life?" he asked me. 

I didn't have anything to say to that, and so I looked around too. I saw several couples, one of whom looked like they could barely keep their hands off each other. The rest looked like they were more in-the-habit than desperately in love. But none of them looked lonely. 

And then I saw the diner's host: the slightly soft-round-the-edges head waiter. He was over by the door, pretending to check through the menu, whilst casting glances up at the cute twenty-something couple who kept holding hands across the table, and who were leaning close enough to breathe in each other's air. 

I recognised his expression. I knew it was exactly how I looked when I saw some of the happy couples I'd helped to create. It was sadness; and well-wishing; and envy; and guilt that I couldn't just be happy for them. All wrapped up into one. 

Without ever talking to him, I felt for this guy. 

And that was it. I wasn't trying to control it, and it was like feeling metal move towards a magnet. It was already happening. 

"Are you doing it?" Joe murmured.

"Shhh," I said, concentrating on that magnetic feeling and the rushing acceleration that was coming with it. Whoever he found, they were close now. I wondered if it would be a girl or a boy; young or old; pretty or plain. It didn't matter, but I'd never stopped being curious.