19

Coda

"Is she alright?" Dare asked me, after we made camp for the night. He nodded towards my new mare, who was stood grazing quietly beside Pistol.

"Yes. She needs new shoes, but she'll make it back to Moonmount. And she needs fattening up a little, but other than that..." I shrugged. "She's good. Thank you, sir."

He hadn't argued about my returning to 'sir'-ing him, but he looked annoyed each time I did.

He was confusing me more and more. First, he seems completely disinterested, then he admits he prefers male company to female, and kisses me, and then he wants nothing to do with me. I pulled a pot of saddle polish from my saddlebag and began to clean our saddles, working off some of my frustration in my task.

"You don't have to wear the saddles away, you know."

I looked up at Dare for a moment, before I looked back down at the saddle.

"Listen, Coda. I know you're angry at me, but-"

"I'm not angry," I cut him off abruptly.

He looked skeptical.

"I'm not. I'm just confused. You started that kiss, not me."

"I know," he said quietly. He looked rather ashamed of himself. "It's just... I've not felt this way about anyone since Jakob. I scared myself, I guess..." He rubbed his arm self-consciously. "I do like you Coda. Really, I do."

"I like you too," I said after a moment. "But... you need to think, about how much this scares you. I don't like wasting my time." Or having my heart broken, I thought to myself.

I put the saddle to one side and lay down on my blanket, feeling suddenly exhausted. I rolled over, turning my back to the fire to keep warm, and shut my eyes. I was just dozing off when I felt strong hands on my shoulders, forcing me to roll onto my back. I opened my eyes and saw Dare leaning over me, his green eyes blazing with determination.

"It doesn't scare me enough to make me stop."

Before I could answer, or even register his words, his lips captured mine in a passionate kiss. I felt as though my body would melt into his touch. His hands slid up my neck to cup my face, tilting my head slightly to grant him easier access to my mouth. I moaned softly as his fingers began to slide through my hair.

 He pulled me up into a sitting position, never breaking our kiss. His fingers swiftly unlaced my tunic. Dare broke our kiss only to lift the garment over my head, before he returned his lips to mine. He slid his lips slowly down my neck, giving me nibbling little kisses. He unlaced my undershirt and slid it from my shoulders. Under his firm hands, I lay back down. He spread his body out over mine, his hands wandering over my torso as he kissed me again.

Every kiss set my body on fire; I'd never felt anything like this before. What are you doing to me? I thought hazily to myself, before Dare's lips captured one of my nipples and drove every other thought from my mind. He drew back for a moment to pull off his own tunic, before he lowered his lips to my neck again. I reached up, unlaced his undershirt and slid it away, before pulling his body back down to mine, claiming his lips in a feverish kiss. The friction of his body against mine was almost unbearable. I moaned again, and Dare drew back from the kiss with a smile. I was reminded suddenly of my dream, and hoped that I wouldn't wake up any time soon, if this were another.

"What're you thinking about?" Dare asked me, his eyes sparkling in the firelight.

"Nothing much. I'm just hoping that if this is a dream, I don't wake up any time soon."

"Good dream," Dare mumbled, kissing my navel softly.

"Mm." I twisted my fingers into his thick hair and pulled him up for another kiss, winding my arms tightly around his neck.