She's A Shit Mother

{sotc to be added later}

Mack opened her eyes, feeling disoriented and confused. Looking around, she realized she was in her room - more specifically she was in her bed. Was that a dream? She lifted the covers, finding herself in pajamas she didn't remember putting on. What the fuck?

Shaking her head, she climbed out of bed and put her feet into the slippers that stayed beside her bed. The room was dark, even the led lights under her bed were off and she normally left them on. She looked around but she was alone in the room. How did she get here?

She sat back on the edge of the bed. She remembered going into Camdens room and finding the letters. She vaguely remembered fainting, she thinks. Had Zayn been writing to the boys this whole time? Camden had to know if they were in his room but did Coastas know? Was he okay? Was Camden? She attempted to clear her head and shake the thoughts away as the door to her room opened, revealing a stressed out Ashton.

"Hey Doll, you're awake."

"What happened? Did you change my clothes?"

Ashton awkwardly shuffled between his feet, rubbing his hand on the back of his neck. "Yes I did, I didn't know how long you'd be out for and I honestly don't think that's a conversation for you and I to have."

Mack tilted her head, "What are you talking about?"

Ashton left the room again and before Mack had a chance to follow him, her twins came into the room each carrying stacks of papers. "Hi babies."

"Hi Momma," they answered quietly in unison.

It was silent for a few seconds; the two boys sharing looks, almost debating in their own unspoken language. Mack looked expectantly at the two children, waiting for one of them to make the first move.

Camden took a deep breath and stepped forward to his mother, delicately holding out the stack of papers in his hands. "Daddy has written to us every week since he left. Tia Leslie was giving us the letters but now that you're not friends, Auntie Isabel was bringing them. They stopped when you and Ashton kissed."

Coastas handed Mack the stack he held before stepping back behind his brother. Mack didn't know if she was more shocked about the papers she now held or the fact that her normally loud-mouthed, pomeranian of a son was stone cold silent. She looked down at the letters in her hands, vaguely skimming through a few of them. They were all kind. Most of them were just Zayn checking in - on the boys, on her, on their wellbeing. A few times, he mentioned a young girl, his daughter.

"You two know about your sister?" Mack asked, lowering herself onto the couch and trying to control her breathing.

"Yes Mama." Coastas nodded, not looking up from the floor.

"Please don't be mad at us. Coastas just found out today but I've always gotten the letters." Camden took a determined step in front of his brother and Mack's heart swelled watching her boys stand up for each other - then immediately deflated when she realized it was against her.

She placed the letters on the coffee table in front of her and waved her boys to come to her. Each twin climbed up and snuggled into a different side of their mother. Mack wrapped her arms tightly around both of them.

"My sweet boys. I would never be upset with you for having contact with your father. I shouldn't have made our personal grown up issues a problem for you two to figure out. It wasn't fair to you. What happened between me and your Dad was something that hurt Momma a lot, but I should not have made him a villain to you guys. He always loved you."

She paused to kiss each boy on the top of their curls. "Now, with that being said I wish you boys had just come to me and told me, we could've done this together. Tia Leslie and Auntie Isabel did not need to be involved in these things and I will be talking to Auntie Isabel about this after you. I am your Momma, it is my job to be involved in your lives - especially about something this big. If you want to talk to your Dad, we should've done it together. We could've FaceTimed him or we could've visited. That's not your fault though, I should've always given you that option, and we have it now. I'm sorry babies, I did not do a good job with this. I promise to be better."