Chapter 9

Nico was getting kinda tired of waking up on a bed in the Apollo cabin, with his body aching all over.

As he opened his eyes, he felt the sting of the light filtering in through the windows. He looked around and noticed that it was daylight.

He managed to sit up. Lifting the covers, he saw the wound on his stomach had healed. How long had he been out?

"Three days."

Nico's head turned to see Will looking at him from the doorway, having seemingly read his mind.

Nico ran a hand through his hair, looking down at the covers. "Gods."

He heard Will make his way over to the bed, sitting down on a stool next to it. He didn't look great, with slight bags under his eyes, and an exhausted look on his face.

Nico stared at him, his mouth opening and closing. He didn't really know what to say.

Will didn't seem to have that problem. "What the fuck, Nico?" His voice was even, tired.

Nico flinched, gripping the bed sheets tighter.

The son of Apollo placed his hands on his knees, leaning forward. His eyes bore into Nico's. "You turn up after days, injured, again."

Nico felt confused. How had he gotten back to camp?

Will had apparently read his mind again as he answered: "Some guy brought you here. He just showed up in the cabin, kinda like you do."

Nico's eyes widened at that.

Will seemed to notice his reaction. "He said his name was Anubis." He was still looking at Liam, trying to gauge his reaction.

Nico dragged a hand down his face. "Shit." He paused for a second, trying to figure out what to say. "Was he okay?"

Will looked down at the floor for a moment. "Yeah, he looked like he was okay. A bit covered in gold, but."

Nico heaved a sigh of relief. He wrung his hands together.

Will clicked his tongue. "You were coughing up ichor, Nico," he said. He looked like that particular detail really freaked him out. "Wanna tell me why that is? 'Cuz I'm pretty sure that's not normal..."

Nico sucked in a breath through his teeth, steeling himself. "I'm so sorry, Will."

Then he told Will everything.

The son of Apollo was silent throughout his retelling of the story. He sat with his weight leaned on his elbows on his knees, looking at Nico.

When he finished, Will leaned back on the stool, staring at the ceiling. "So, I never stood a chance, huh?"

Nico looked back at him, puzzled. "What?"

Will glanced back at him, a teasing smile on his face. "Anubis. You chose him."

The son of Hades stared for a second, before his face flushed.

Will didn't seem angry or disappointed, just looking at him with that tiny smile. "You really like him, huh?"

Nico buried his face in his hands. "Oh, gods."

"He looked extremely worried when he brought you here," Will commented.

Nico chanced a look at him.

"He said that he was so sorry that this had to happen to you, and, uh..." Will paused for a second, his eyes flicking between Nico's. "He said that he couldn't have this happen again, and that it was too dangerous for you to be with him..."