Chapter 4

In the little black box was a slender silver chain with a little dagger pendant hanging from it daintily.

"What the actually hell is going on..?" I trailed off as i eased the necklace from the box.

Holding it up to the light, it glinted in a cold, calculating way. Narrowing my eyes, i held the pendant to my throat. It was cold against the soft skim of my neck as i clasped the ends of the necklace. The chain was short and the pendant hung in the hollow of my throat. As much as i was terrified, the necklace was stunning. Before i could give it any other thought, my dad came waltzing in. I snatched the box from the table and shoved it into the hoodies stomach pocket.

"Mornin' sweetie," He grinned, rubbing the unshaven stubble along his jaw.

"Morning dad," I replied, pushing myself up and grabbing my bag.

"Nice hoodie," He admired, raising an eyebrow.

"Mhm," I mumbled, my mum must have said something. I scowled.

"A gentleman if i recall correctly," His tone became accusatory.

"Yes."

"Mayrick, isn't it?" He moved to the front door, blocking my exit.

"Myrzik," I corrected him and tried to shoulder past him. I didn't see why it was such a big deal.

"Sounds like a foreign name."

"It is. It's Russian."

My father's whole body tensed up and he grabbed my shoulders.

"Russian did you say!"

"Yes?" I questioned before i remembered, "Oh dad, come on, we moved, no one knows us here."

He narrowed his eyes, "This new boy, what's his full name?"

"Myrzik Kurda Jürgen," I recited. His full name made me shiver.

"Hmm, okay," He growled, releasing me and stepping aside, "I give you faur warning lassie, be careful with him.."

I didn't say another word, i just steadied my bag on my shoulders and left withour saying goodbye. They were both paranoid but my father had frightened me. I knew he was wrong. He had to be. I mulled over the whole conversation as i walked to school.

Myrzik wasn't in first period. Or second period. Or third, or fourth. Fifth period was PE.

After getting changed into my running trousers and a sports top, my PE coach dragged us outside, onto the pitch for some running practice. Not to brag, but i was one of the fastest in my year. All we had to do was run around a track and do as many laps as you could in twelve minutes. The Cooper Test. As we all lined up, i glanced towards the other end of the pitch, where the cut-off fence was a person. A guy i assumed due to the butch figure. I was too distracted observing the guy and his familiarity that i missed the starting fire of the gun. Jumping out of my daze, i kicked off from the starting block and just ran.

By the end of PE, i was sweaty, tomato-red and dying for a drink. I had come second out of thirteen girls. Walking unsteadily into the PE Complex, my vision fuzzed over and my knees gave out. Before i had time to hit the ground, a strong pair of arms snaked around my waist and held me up, "Damn girl, you need to chill."

I clenched my eyes shut. I recognised the voice and groaned. Please don't let it be him. Please.

The strong pair of arms hauled me onto my feet and turned me to face them. Easing my eyes open, i saw Myrzik before me. I groaned again, this time wanting to faint.

"Tut tut, don't go fainting on me," Myrzik chuckled and pulled a bottle of water from his bag. He handed it to me after unscrewing the cap and i gulped it down.

"I think i should take you home," He frowned, looking at my face. I opened my mouth to protest but he cut me off, "No way are you staying here, you look fit to throw up, come on."

Myrzik grabbed me by the shoulder and steered me outside, towards a small battered red Ford. I expected Myrzik to drive a flashy black car and i reminded myself to laugh about it later. I slipped into the front passenger seat and shut the door as Myrzik slid into the driver's side. Buckling the seat belt, Myrzik pulled out of the school parking lot and drove.

I leaned my head back against the head rest and sighed deeply, shutting my eyes. I was going to regret this, no matter how well it went.

"Still wearing my hoodie?" I could hear the smile in his voice.

"Last time i recal, you gave it to me," I grinned, not opening my eyes.

He snorted.

We drove in silence for the next 10 minutes until Myrzik pulled into my driveway and killed the engine. I forced my eyes open and glanced at him. He was staring at me.

"What are you staring at me for?"

"You look so vulnerable when you are asleep," He forced a smile but it did not reach his eyes.

I quickly unbuckled myself and got out, slamming the car door harder than i intended. I speed-walked up to my door and turned to thank Myrzik.

"Your not going to invite me in?"

"My parents wouldn't approve," It wasn't a lie. Technically.

"Who cares? You're what? Seventeen now?" He glowered down at me.

I turned back to my door and pushed it open, ran inside and tried to shut it. The door jammed. I looked down to see Myrzik's foot stopping the door.

"Please, move your foot," I hissed, staring balefully up at him.

"Let me in then," He smirked, flicking his hair out of his eyes.

"No."

"Why not?"

"You're a stranger."

"No, i am not."

"I don't know anything about you."

"Yet, i know about that necklace."

The blood in my veins turned to ice and my grip on the door slackened. Before i had time to snap back to focus, Myrzik had shoved the door open, shut it behind him and blocked it.