Chapter 3

"I'm home!" I yelled into the house as i put my now wet bag down on one of the kitchen chairs.

"In the living room!" My mum called back from down the hallway.

I wamdered into the living room, leaving wet foot prints on the pale beige carpet. I plopped down into one of the over plushed arm chair. My mum was lying on the sofa, a box of chocolates perched on her plump stomach, a book in ome hand and a glass of wine in another. I rolled my eyes.

"Who's hoodie is that?" She asked, narrowing her eyes suspiciously at me.

"Just a friend's. They gave it to me," I mumbled, "How was your day?"

"Who is your friend?" My mum pried, ignoring my question.

My mum, Florintine Sawyer, was famous for her gossip and then that image was impressed on myself. As much as i tried to stay out of the limelight, but then my mum would say something and then it would focus on me again.

"A guy."

"Who!" My mum sat bolt straight up, dropping her luxury chocolates on the marron rug and barely avoiding spilling her wine everywhere.

"A boy named Myrzik," I smirked. Let her pry.

"Who are his parents? Where is he from? What is he like?" My mum demanded, kneeling down to pick up her chocolates, popping the odd one in her mouth.

"I don't know."

"What do you mean you don't know?" She snapped, straightening up. Her crow black hair, like mine, was ruffled in an unfashionable way.

"It means i don't know," I grinned and got up, "I'm off to make dinner, what do you want?"

My mum just glowered balefully at me amd i ventured into the kitchen. That night, i made a dish of macaroni, tidied up and washed the dishes, did homework that need attention and went to bed.

I lay in the darkness of my room, the thick duvet plastered against my sweaty body. It was too warm, i tossed and turned as the sweat dribbled down my forehead and neck. It was 11:24pm, and my mum had went to bed with my father once he had got in from work. Eventually, after a long amount of time deliberating, i got up, wrapping a loose dressing gown around my bare body, i walked up to my window and yanked it op. The cold, crisp air washed over me and i leaned out the window. The sky was clear and i could see the glow of street lights a little way off. A few strong stars sparkled in the night sky. I smiled sleepily and wandered back to my bed, got in and fell into a deep, undisturbed sleep.

I awoke to my alarm blaring harshly in my ear as i rolled over, groaning and hit the snooze button. I lay there for a few minutes, shaking off the sleepy deminor before getting up. I change into a pair of light blue skinny jeans, a white blouse and Myrzik's hoodie that had dried overnight.

I couldn't deny it anymore, i liked Myrzik. Too much. And he wasn't safe.

Raking my fine, straight hair into a high pony tail, i left the room and ventured into the bathroom. I scubbed my teeth, washed my fave and splashed on a lick of make-up.

Just as i was leaving the bathroom, i had a strong urge to go back to my bedroom, like i had forgotten something. Shrugging, i went back into my room and looked around. My eyes snagged on the open window before i remembered i had opened it last night. I was about to walk out again when i noticed a sheet of white fluttering against the frame of my window.

I don't know why, but a sharp shard of dread wormed its way into my heart and spread it's icey disruption through my veins. Walking forward, silently, on my tip-toes, i reached the window and pulled off the piece of paper. I was going to dismiss it as a piece of rubbish, but gut instinct told me it was more than just that. Turning the paper over, i was greeted by a message scrawled in rough writing.
Dear Winter, I left something for you. On your doorstep. Do not worry, it is not dangerous. Not like me. Anyway, go look. I expect you to wear it. I'll be very upset if you do not. Tah-tah for now. Xx

"What the-!" I coughed and bolted from my room, letting the offending letter float down to my bedroom floor.

Bolting down the stairs, i ran through the hallway, skidded on the kitchen lino and yanked the front door open. On the doorstep was a small black box. I glared at it as if it would jump up and bite me.

Bending down, i picked up the little box, the shard if dread wedging itself deeper into my heart. Straightening up, i glanced about, went back inside and shut the door. Sitting down on one of the free kitchen chairs, i put the box on the table amd stared at it. It hadn't exploded. But what had i suspected? The only way i would ever know was if i opened it. Taking a deep breath, i took the box in my palm and snapped the lid open. What was inside snatched my breath away.