Chapter 6

Harry's POV

Somehow Louis ended up back at my flat, even though Liam gave him a nasty glare when Louis suggested that he and I hang out.

We had to get up disgustingly early to fly to New York, where we would perform at Madison Square Garden.

But I agreed.

We were watching some movie and talking and laughing. It was like normal.

These were the moments that I cherished, yet hated.

I loved that it was just me and Louis, best mates like old times again.

I hated that it was just me and Louis, best mates like old times again.

I wished it was just me and Louis, boyfriends. Fiancées. Husbands.

He was sprawled across my couch with his head on my lap. Every time he laughed at something I said, or he said, I saw the beautiful sparkle of his eyes.

He was so happy.

So why wasn't I?

Louis smiled up at me and I attempted a grin back at him. He sighed happily and sat up, only to slide closer to me and lay his head on my shoulder.

"I missed this," he said softly.

I knew what he was talking about, but I asked anyways.

"Missed what?" I asked.

"This. Us. Just being together. We haven't just hung out with the two of us in a while. We used to always be together, Hazza," he said.

He picked up his head to press a gentle kiss to my neck before setting it back down on my shoulder.

He'd done this many, many times. He gave all of us lovebites.

He hadn't done it in ages, though. Since he'd moved out, the silly, joking touches, bites, and kisses had all but disappeared.

But there was something so intimate, so caring about the action that I couldn't restrain the tiny flame of hope that lit in my stomach.

No.

We would never be together. There was no hope, I sternly thought to myself.

I had to dig my nails into my wrist to cover the emotional want with physical pain.

"We got busy," I said lamely, "You got your own place so we weren't always together anymore."

Louis sighed.

"That's no excuse. You're my best mate. I should have put aside more time for you. Maybe then you wouldn't be like this," he said.

He quickly realized what he had just said, and turned bright red.

Louis had a tendency of not having a filter on his mouth, and he'd gotten in trouble for it multiple times.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled, sitting up.

"It's fine. It's not your fault, though," I assured him.

Well, it technically was. Maybe if he wasn't so bloody perfect then I wouldn't have fallen so hard for him.

He frowned.

"We used to tell eachother everything, Hazza. What changed?" he whispered, searching my eyes.

I fell in love with you, I thought.

"I don't know," I lied instead, proving his point.

I remembered a time, many times, where we stayed up literally all night, just talking and cuddling. We'd laughed together, even cried at one point when my girlfriend had broken up with me. That was around the time my crush had started.