Nine: Stealth

I was jogging with Leib and April, I was lagging behind them to give them space to flirt with each other. I giggled at the thought-them flirting-nothing would be more awkward than two awkward people doing that.

I was watching them talk when my visions were suddenly obscured. I felt-I knew-the existence of the black canvas bag that was put on my head, their fibers tightly weaved that no light peeked as I struggled to get free from the hands that held me immobile. I foresaw what was about to happen, and no matter how I sucked my stomach in so that the prongs of the Taser wouldn't reach me, in the end, the current still ran through my body resulting to its uncontrollable seizing, but amazingly I never felt the pain-and I knew it was painful.

A very loud sound that jolted me awake...I think.

Was I really awake, or was I in another dream?

It was like lifting weights with my eyes as I wrestled to pry them open, they were very heavy. The white ceiling was instantaneously there-though blurry at first-when I got my sight and so with the blindingly bright light.

Ah, another dream.

I became aware of the murmurs that got clearer as seconds passed.

"...wake up make her take these."

"Thank you."

I knew I had to and it will hurt like heck, but I did it anyway. "Leib?" Freaking hell, just like swallowing barbwires!

"Oh sweetheart, you're awake."

I didn't respond as I was trying to pinpoint where I heard that familiar voice.

"Your brother went to school." My mother gently stroked my probably-oily head and I could tell she was trying not to cry by how shaky her voice was. "The doctor told us to make you take these." She handed me a medicine cup and within it were two white pills.

Ah, I'm awake then.

I chucked the meds in my mouth followed by a sip of water in the strawed-styrocup. Even though it tasted weird, the lukewarm liquid going down my throat eased a bit of its dryness.

Mom took her gaze away from me to look somewhere before returning them to me. Her green eyes were tired and sad, and I knew it was because of me. "Honey, the doctor recommended that you," She caressed my left cheek. Her hands were cold. "He told us that you need to take a break from school, and we thought you should know."

But school just started.

"He told us that crowded environments might trigger your episodes and that it might cause you harm."

"Episodes?" Hmm, my throat still felt like a desert made of sand papers and they were rubbing together. I sat up slowly and immediately saw the other person standing at the foot of the bed. "Hi, dad." Water, I need to down a liter of water.

I saw his eyes glisten but it was momentary and was gone the second he blinked. He walked to where mom was and stood beside her, his hands held her shoulders as if to readily catch her if ever she fell.

I returned my gaze on my mother, silently asking her about what she said earlier.

"You were having hallucinations, memory losses and seizures," She sobs. It hurts to see mom like this that it brought my own tears out. "They said that your brain is physically well but its activities were abnormal, that you might hurt yourself or others."

Which meant?

I wanted to reassure my parents that I was fine, but I, myself didn't believe that.

"So, I guess I will be camping at the house, then?" I croaked. My mom's face became sadder.

"Sweetheart," Dad's voice was deep and clear. My parents' hands were both on mine this time and it was very warm. "They told us to put you in a psychiatric facility."