Chapter 26

Unedited

--

"Thank you" you said, grabbing the ticket you purchased for homecoming and putting it in your pocket. Sasha swung her arm around your shoulder and giggled. This was your first big social outing since the whole incident, and you were excited. 

The pep rally and homecoming dance were both things that set the real start of the year. It was one of those things that nearly the whole school looked forward too. You honestly contemplated skipping, but Sasha insisted. 

It was in two weeks. You planned on going to the dance, so you and Sasha were going to go dress shopping over the weekend.

It was a Thursday afternoon in your 8h period class. The teachers didn't really care what you did in study hall, as long as it wasn't disruptive. There was fifteen minutes left of the class, so you and Sasha grabbed your laptop and headed to the top of the windy roof. The flight of stairs was long, but by now you had gotten used to running up it again.

The two of you carefully opened the roof door. The small tarp you had set up was still there after a long summer of rain. This was the first time the two of you had gotten a chance to visit. 

"So, what do you want to watch?" you asked, opening up your laptop to Netflix. You knew what she was going to answer but still asked anyways.

Sasha, of course, answered with the name of the latest true crime documentary. It was "Don't F*** with cats" which wasn't exactly new, but it was still a good one, or so you heard. Since there was only 15 minutes left, well, ten by the time you got settled in, you didn't get far into it, but you still added it to your list in order to watch it the next day. 

"Shit," Sasha said, checking her phone. You looked over at her, zipping the zipper to your bag. She gave you a sorry glace and threw her bag over her shoulder. "My doctor's office just emailed me. They said she's going to be out tomorrow and the only open opportunity they have to reschedule this month is in an hour. Do you think you can find a ride home today if I go," she asked, grinding her teeth.  

"Yeah, I'll be fine, but you should get going," you said. The nearest doctor's office was in the text town over, and it was best to get there early. 

"Thanks so much, I'm going to go sign out at the office, see you tomorrow!" Sasha yelled, hugging you and heading down to the first floor. You signed, leaning up against the brick wall as the bell rang. The only other person who you knew didn't have work today was Levi, of course, just your luck, and there was no way you were going to walk the full 15 miles home. 

'It won't be that bad' you thought to yourself, walking down the big stairs and turning to the science hall. He hadn't talked to you last time, and you hoped the same thing would happen on this ride. 

Your teacher's door was the first on the right. Walked in. There were significantly less people than normal. The flu had been going around. It left you, Levi, Reiner, Peick, and some kids you didn't know names Sophie, Amanda, Masha, Jameson, and Franklin. 

You sat in your seat in front of Reiner as you normally did, and pulled out your phone, waiting for the passing period bell to ring. It did two minutes later, just as you finished your iMessage 8ball game with Connie, who was absent as well. 

"Good afternoon class! Please complete the warmup sheet I placed on your desks, and then we'll get to the labs. Today we're going to be looking through the microscopes at a leaf cell, then we'll take care of our plants."

You pulled out a pen and started answering the questions. They were pretty easy, so you finished with extra time. 

The ten-minute bell rang two minutes later, meaning that time was up and it was time to head to your lab stations. Levi being your partner meant this was the perfect time for you to ask him if he could give you a ride home. 

He was the first one at the station. You took the microscope first, looking through the glass. "Your station is the only one whose leaf has an open stoma," Hange said, handing out the worksheet. 

The assignment was to draw the stomata accurately. You finished pretty quickly, then grabbed you plant. The final seeds had sprouted, it would be a while before they began to flower, but you were hopeful.

"Hey," you started as Levi came over with the remaining supplies. He hummed, carefully putting it all down. "Do you mind giving me another ride? I still haven't changed the tire and my ride can't take me home."

"Yeah, sure," he said, giving the plant a few drops of water. You took care of the measurements and everything else, then the two of you sat back down at your desks, waiting for your teacher to start her actual lesson. 

--

The bell rang and you and Levi were out of there fairly quickly. He had parked right outside of the front door. You followed him to the car and sat in the passenger side, waiting for him to drive off. 

"You know you can put your bag in the back, right? I mean, if you want. You just look kind of uncomfortable," Levi said, and he was right. You clenched your bag to your chest as your books dug into your legs through the fabric. 

"I'm fine," you answered coldly. It still got on your nerves when he acted like he cared. Sure, you had already gotten the message across, and it looked like he finally received it, but that didn't stop you from hating him. 

--

"We're here," he said, parking in your driveway. You thanked him and got out of the car. He pulled out of the driveway, but quickly pulled back in and got out of the car. 

"(y/n) wait, can I help you with your tire," he said, standing next to his open car door. Levi had his normal serious look on, but it didn't look like he was trying to gain appreciation points. It looked like he genuinely wanted to help. 

"Um, yeah, sure," you said, sitting down on your front steps. He took off his windbreaker and got the spare tire from out of his trunk. You had never learned how to change a tire, so it was pretty convenient for him to offer. 

--

Levi looked down at the new tire, proud of his work. "It's all done," he said, slightly smiling. "I guess I'll be going now."

"Wait."

He stopped and turned around to see what you had to say. You held your arm, mustering up the courage to say what you had to say. "I-I'm sorry. I've been treating you like an asshole, I mean, you did deserve it, but I let it get a bit out of hand and should have gotten over it sooner. I still hate you, don't forget it, but, thanks," you said, walking off without letting him respond.

--

A/N: IK IK, LATE ASS CHAPTER, I JUST DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO END THE CHAPTER!