Tainted Signature

Hayley sighed as she inspected the Samurai amulet. The battle between Lothor and the Rangers was over, and the three teams had returned to the Lab. "I'm sorry," she said, turning away from the computers and facing the three teams. "It's dead."

Shane sighed but nodded his head in understanding. While he and the other Ninjas had been hopeful that their powers would remain intact, they also knew it was futile to hope for a lost cause. Their abilities had been destroyed two years ago, when Kali had first sealed Lothor away in the Abyss, now they had retired, and there was no real reason for them to continue being Rangers.

"Lothor's extraction of its powers left just enough energy for one last battle," Hayley continued.

"It's okay," said Shane. He turned his attention to Conner and reached out, tapping his shoulder. "I guess it's a good thing we've got you guys."

"You've done your part," said Conner, reaching over and tapping Shane's arm. "It's our turn to take over where you left off."

Anabel furrowed her brow at Conner and then leaned closer to Kira. "When did Conner become so wise?" she asked, her voice loud enough for the whole lab to hear.

Conner shot Anabel a look as Kira laughed.

Anabel grinned and winked in return.

Shaking his head, Conner turned away from the two girls.' He glanced at Dustin, as the Earth Sensei clapped his shoulder as he slid past.

"There's still one thing I don't understand," said Dustin, drawing everyone's attention.

"Why doesn't that surprise me?" Kali teased.

Dustin whined and pouted at her.

"What don't you understand?" Kali asked him, a teasing smile on her lips.

"Who opened the Abyss in the first place?"

Kali groaned. "Don't remind me," she whined. "Lothor said something about a friend he made in the Abyss. I don't even know who is down there, so it could be someone I didn't put away."

"What if it's Imperious?" Xander suggested, wandering over. "He'd had every reason to try and get back at you."

"If my father wanted to get back at me, why didn't he come get me himself?" Kali asked. "I don't think it's Imperious. I faced my demons of him a long time ago."

Xander furrowed his brow in confusion.

"Remember when I said it was a long story?" Kali asked.

Xander nodded.

"It's part of that." Kali sighed and folded her arms, leaning back against the solid desk as the other teams crowded around. They had been drawn in my Dustin's questions, but eager to hear more about Kali's theories. She shook her head.

Reaching out, Tori rubbed her hand up and down Kali's arm. "You okay?" she asked.

Kali swallowed, took a deep breath, and exhaled. "Whoever opened the Abyss from the other side is stronger than anyone I've ever faced," she said. "To be honest, I didn't think that would be possible after the Master and Dai Shi."

"Is there any way of finding out who it is?" Kira asked.

"I don't think so," said Kali, shaking her head. "Lothor said that one day soon I would meet this person, and I don't know if I am eager to find that out. I just hope, whoever it is, I'm ready for it."

"We," corrected Nick, sliding an arm around his girlfriend.

Kali frowned at him. "We?" she repeated.