36. Cold Tears

Somewhere in Japan...

He was trembling. Not with cold. Not even from fear. With tears in his eyes, he looked up at the crescent moon. As often he did. And he always had the feeling that he wasn't the only one who was looking up. He raised his white wing and stretched it out through the barred window towards the moon. He wished he could get out of this agonizing trap. He lowered the wing again. He clawed his finger feathers around the bars and pressed his forehead against it.
The white bird remained in this position for a while. His wings clenched, trembling, around the grate. Finally, he couldn't help himself and began to cry softly. Every second, he wished he could get away from here. But there was no one who knew of his existence. Nobody who could help him. He was alone. Alone and forgotten by the society out there.
A crack made him jump. Somebody opened the door. A dark figure entered. He held a tray in the paws which he slammed onto a table.
"Your medicine," a threatening voice said in Japanese.
Slowly, the white bird turned to the black figure. His pulse quickened with fear. In the last few years, there were hardly any moments when he was sober without being forced to take the "medicine".
Sadly, the bird looked up again at the glowing sickle in the sky. It was bent like a white feather and made him think of only one person.
"Medicine!" the dark figure snapped behind him. He grabbed the white bird by the shoulder and yanked him away from the window. Again, he was close to tears. In the last moments of his sober state, only one thought crossed his mind: "The moon is white. As white as me... and you. "

- End of Part Four -

... well, this was just a foretaste for the next story. Thanks to everyone who read and/or reviewed the story. The first chapter of the next story will follow tomorrow, see you then. :-)