5.The masked one

The sharp chirping of the birds and shouts of vendors were easily audible from outside but inside the room, everything was pin-drop silent.

 I took in a shaky breath and looked away from the flowers. " If this means what I think it means...."

" Of course it means the same, sir", Mr. Jones interrupted me , " Its a sign of omen, a SIGN OF DEATH!" he shivered, " these flowers symbolizes the suppression of their ancestors but now, they want revenge . They will make us pay for the lapse of judgement of our predecessors."

Was I really being threatened with my life, it felt strange. I felt calmer than I ought to be.

" What fancy notions you have, Mr. Jones", Durga murmured politely from the ottoman beside me. Did I knew of her presence before she spoke? No I didn't .

"Not notions madam, these are hard core facts", Mr. Jones persisted.

" And pray tell, how do you know that?"

" I have been following this group almost diligently for over a year, that's my job you see. Their new sightings , the news paper cuttings, their modus operandi- it is all in here", he tapped his skull, " This brotherhood of rebels became active almost 2 years ago and since then, their activities have been localized to Bengal. They print a weekly newspaper through which they try to incite the youth against the government, there is no truth in their reports of course", he winked slightly as he said this, he was lying. " Aplace from today's blast in district collector's office, there was one at a prominent Lawyer's chamber and another inside the Governor's carriage. Their very nerve!"

" I'm sorry to interrupt Mr. Jones but can you please tell me the number of casualties in both these bombings" , Durga's face was emotionless.

Mr. Jones looked taken aback, "No casualties were reported from either of these incidents but is there a point you are trying to make, Madam Pradhan?"

" Oh no! None Mr. Jones, just a curious observation. Do continue your account of this notorious group."

" As I was saying reports of assassinations started to surface only a year ago. An army office from the 4th regiment was gifted a red silk hand-woven shroud, the next day his corpse was covered with the very same shroud. Some months later a Mr. Peirce, a revenue officer received the world's finest Darjeeling tea, later that day, he was stabbed to death and here is an interesting part, his cold tea was placed on the coffee table next to his body. There are many other incidents, would you like me to state them all."

"There is no need." I looked up at Durga, her eyes were no longer fixed on Mr. Jones, instead they were staring intently at me.

_*_*_*__*_*__*_*___*_*__*_*_*__*_*_*___*__*_*_*__*_*__*_*_**__**__*__*_*_*__*_*_*_*_*_

Tonight the darkness seemed to have won over the silvery pale moonlight and as I leaned on the balcony railing ,staring at the marching troops deployed to guard my safety, strange notions filled my heart and I do say, quite shamefully, that I was scared.

"My Lord", Ravij bowed as approached me, a candle in one hand.

" Ravij, has everyone retired for the day?"

" Yes, sir. All the servants have been given a leave, as Your Lordship had instructed, Ms. Pradhan and her maids are in the guest room and I am soon to retire to my own quater. Every floor is guarded by two soldiers and I have personally made sure that all the windows and doors are bolted."

" Very well then, good night, Ravij", I sighed tiredly and made for my study.

" Don't worry, my Lord", his concerned voice trailed from behind , " I'm sure everything will be alright."