1.His Story

The sun was high in the afternoon sky and the birds were chirping happily in the nearby mangrove trees. The warmth of the nature seemed to resonate the words of the young man I met on the railway platform-' Namaste! Welcome to India.'

A small smile played on my lips as I enjoyed the play of sunlight on my bareskin, it felt so different in comparasion to the snow covered London I had left behind. The thought of London instantly reminded me of Mrs. Periwinkle. I jogged across the room and pulling out a bare paper, my eagle feather and an indigo blue ink pot I started writing.

Dear Mrs. Periwinkle,

You would love to know that I have reached Calcutta well and sound. The journey was long yet comfortable. I believe that these people provide nothing less than the best to their new ICS( Indian Civil Services ) officer. I still can't believe I'm in India- a continent 7 oceans across but some things just remain the same. Calcutta is just like a mini-London with its intimidating Anglo- inspired buildings and hundreds of Europeans sauntering the streets.

However, there are many profound changes. The inhabitants of this place are very different from the people I have ever seen before. For instance take my carriage driver- a genial old fellow who seems to understand everyword I say but speaks so little english that I can hardly, if ever, understand him. Another interesting chap I have met is my butler Ravij. A fellow of impressive height and an even more impressive demour, he speaks english with such prefection that I feel a hit on the ego myself. He seems to possess such grace that even his act of cleaning seems like ballot and then there is his ability of knowing everything about anything and i wonder to myself,' How is that even possible?'

Many peculiar incidents have also occured with me one of them I'ld like to state here:-

Some time ago I was excavating my new official bunglow ( Its so large that I am almost inclined to call it a mansion but then again, i'm trying to be modest) and I found many hand-made paintings. They all depicted a man and a woman. The man had a curiously blue shade of skin and the woman was a very beautiful lady dressed in colourful ethnic wear and gold jwellery and they appeared to be dancing . Looking at them was almost serene. Ravij told me it was a Radha-Krishna painting , deities of Hindu mythology . The officer before me was an avid art collector and had adorned the hallway with Indian art. Ravij asked me if I was offended then he would put down the paintings. When I asked that why would I be offended, he looked suprised.

This other time I helped an old servant carry my luggage and that poor soul almost had an heart attack . That is the peculiar thing, Mrs. Periwinkle - every act of kindness or acceptance shocks everyone- even my fellow European employees.

On a different note, I received your letter as soon as I reached here and I find your worry about me getting a suitable wife totally unjustified. I'm a mere 21 years of age but since you are so insistant I'll attend various soirees and ball room events. Infact, there is one tonight at the Governor's residence. I hope it will be quite enjoyable. Looking forward to your reply.

With lots of love,

Yours lovingly,

Thomas.

I put down the eagle feather and sighed. Leaning back against the headrest I said," Ravij."

Almost instantly my bedroom door opened and a tall, Indian man dressed in black and white suit entered.

"Yes, my Lord?" His voice was soft and polite, as always.