twenty ✓ one, two, three months

chapter ; twenty

title ; one, two, three months

act two ; new moon

MONTH ONE — AUGUST

Isla stands outside the Swan home, he hands clutching a bag of takeout food. She had yet to knock and was really considering going home now. She felt guilty for what had happened to Bella. Like she was to blame — she had told Alice that a birthday party for Bella was a good idea, that it would go okay. And then she felt guilty because her and Alice were still together, disobeying Edwards orders.

Just as Isla turned around to leave, the door opened and Charlie peeked his head out. "Isla? Everything okay?" Charlie asked and Isla swirled around with guilty eyes.

The teenager held up the bag of food, "I, uh, figured Bella and you would be hungry."

"Thank you. Why don't you come in. I'm sure Bella would like the company." The adult beckoned Isla into the home.

Isla handed Charlie his own food before the teenager made her way up the stairs and towards Bella's bedroom. The door was closed, not a surprise there. Isla knocked and entered the room to see Bella singing in a chair, staring out of the window with a blank face.

Isla moved to the end of Bella's bed with the food in hand.

"I brought you some Chinese." Bella didn't even look to the girl.

"You can have some if you like. I tried it, it's pretty good." Then Isla placed a small container on Bella's lap and then only a few minutes later, before the food started to get cold, Bella picked it up silently and started to eat.

MONTH TWO — OCTOBER

"Bella? I brought some popcorn and we can watch a Halloween movie. Turn off all the lights and pretend we aren't home so kids don't come knocking." Isla smiled brightly as she entered Bella's bedroom. The broken hearted girl only stared out the window, looking at the kids in costumes blankly.

"When I was little I used to always dress up as a princess. One year it would be Snow White and a different one the next year..."

MONTH THREE — NOVEMBER

"I am thankful for you. And fluffy pyjamas." Isla said walking into Bella's bedroom, the girl had yet to talk sadly, but that wasn't going to stop Isla from sharing.

"I'm not sure what else to be thankful for. Uh, Tv. Yeah. Snow!" Isla kept on going.

Isla went to say something else, another thing she was thankful for but a small voice spoke up. "I'm thankful for you..." Bella spoke quietly and her voice was a small as could be.

MONTH FOUR — DECEMBER

Isla helps Charlie drags a Christmas tree toward the house. Worry seems to have taken a toll on him, he hasn't gotten Bella to talk yet, nor has he really gotten her to eat anything.

Isla is the one now who gets Bella to eat, sleep, shower and change into clean clothing.

Isla had yet to tell Bella that she and Alice were still together. Isla felt so guilty that she was allowed love, that she avoided even saying Alice's name to Bella.

"Bell? I brought you a gift." Isla smiled and sat a gift down beside Bella who was laying down under her blankets.

Bella made no movement other than blinking up at Isla. Her small hands brought the gift closer to her chest and she opened the box to find a book inside, Narnia.

"Thank you."

MONTH FIVE — JANUARY

For the first time in a few months, Bella stepped outside of her bedroom to do something other than use the bathroom. Her hand was held tightly in Islas and her lips were formed into a small smile.

Isla pulled Bella down the stairs and out the front door to where Islas car was parked. "Day trip."

And that's how the two spent their day, on a day road trip, driving and getting Bella back into the swing of things.

═════════

very short chapter but 🤷🏼‍♀️