eight ✓ an apple for breakfast

chapter ; eight

title ; an apple for breakfast

act one ; twilight

The week after the van incident, Isla was finally allowed back to school. She was okay, but her grandparents were very protective of her, hence why she was told to stay at home and not go to school. They also didn't want to risk anything happening to her. Now she was able to return to school and be back with Alice and her friends that she was missing.

Isla had seen Alice over the week, the vampire visiting right after school, even bringing Isla her missed school work. Alice had also kept her updated on all the drama that had happened at school (which wasn't a lot, but still something.)

Isla had also kept in contact with Bella, who was becoming curious about how Alice had gotten to Isla so fast — Isla had no memory of this, and at first thought, Bella was a little crazy, but then again, she didn't remember much beside someone she couldn't remember had pushed her away and tucking her into their arms. She remembered seeing her uncle at one point when she was being loaded into the ambulance, but she didn't remember Alice bringing her into her arms and saving her.

Isla couldn't help but feel excited while she got ready to be back in time for the biology field trip that was happening, and she had been buzzing about it all week. Isla loved field trips. They gave you an excuse to skip school and learn something in a better-funny-more interesting way.

She quickly got changed into the clothing she had picked out the night, an outfit that consisted of mom jeans and a baggy sweatshirt that said: "Obey gravity. It's the law.". Before she was finished she dug around her dresser drawers for her hat that she loved too much.

Once the hat was placed on her head she began to walk downstairs. More like jumping half the steps, but she would just wave her hand and say she was bouncing with excitement, which she was.

Despite her excitement, she was still tired and loud sounds irritated her when she was sleepy, she had gone back to the hospital the day after and Carlisle had told her that she had a small concussion that had just been dismissed and misdiagnosed. That was another reason her grandparents had kept her home, they didn't want her to scream out at everyone to shut up during a class, because Isla would do that.

As she made her way down the steps, she paused when she overheard her grandparents talking in hushed whispers. "Her mother called. She wants to come down, convince Isla to come back and marry him." Her grandma told her husband quietly.

Isla was surprised, not just at the fact that her mother had called her grandparents, knowing where she was — but that her ex-fiancé was still up for marrying her.

"It wasn't the first time she called, she was quite mad about Isla just running from the wedding. She's suggesting counselling for her 'behaviour.'"

"I know, honey, she called me the other day." Her grandfather told his wife, placing a hand over hers on the kitchen table. "I told her that she was happy here, that she even had a job."

Islas eyebrows furrowed. Her mother still wanted her to go back to her and marry the man she ran away from, it just showed that the love she had for her daughter wasn't healthy.

"She will be fine, she protected and happy here." Her grandfather said. "Now, let's end this discussion, she'll be down any minute."

Isla waited as she tried to process what she had overheard, she wondered why her grandparents were keeping this all from her. They never had secrets, they were always open with each other but she knew she couldn't go down and demand answers.

She waited a few more moments before walking down so it didn't seem suspicious and she couldn't let them know that she had overheard what they had said. "Morning." She greeted, pretending everything was okay and acting like she hadn't heard her grandparents talking about her parents.

"Morning, sweetheart, are you going to join us for breakfast?" Her grandma asked from the table.

Isla picked up an apple and a granola bar from the snack drawer and put them into her bag. "No, Bella is picking me up again.  We wanna get good seats on the bus for our field trip today." She told her grandparents. "By the way, did you guys sign that permission slip Alice gave to you last week?"

Mark nodded. "It's over there." He said pointing over towards the side of the fridge where the slip was pinned by a magnet.

Isla made a small noise and plucked it off from the fridge and placed it in her bag. "Thanks, grandpa," Isla said.

The family then heard a beep of Bella's truck horn and the teenager went to towards the door, waving goodbye to her grandparents.

The car ride was silent as Bella drove the two to school, it wasn't too far away from where isle lived, she could practically walk but was too lazy. They were going to have another half an hour on the bus ride so she didn't mind the comfortable silence. She knew if she sat beside Alice then there wouldn't be an ounce of silence.

Bella parked her truck and the two got out, the girls overheard Mr. Molina telling the class that he needed everyone's permission slips before they got on the bus.

Much to Islas surprise, Alice hadn't pulled the girl to sit beside her. So, the whole way to the greenhouse, Isla and Bella sat with each other, both chit-chatting.

In each girl's hands were a crayon of a dark or light colour. And on the seat between the girls' legs was a booklet they were using to play tick-tack-toe in.

Currently, Bella was winning, but Isla planned on changing that.