Chapter Sixteen

Louis POV:

I had about an hour and a half to kill while Victoria was at her practice. There was no sense in going home, so I decided to stop into a nearby coffee shop. I hadn't eaten any breakfast, after all. After ordering, I sat down at a table and sorted through my emails on my phone. It had barely been a few minutes when my phone received a new call. The caller ID told me it was Gavin Ruback, one of our Promotion Reps. I quickly answered.

"Good Morning Louis, do you have a moment? We have to speak with you about something." Gavin greeted.

"We?" I asked quietly, trying not to disturb the other patrons of the shop.

"Yes, Marcus is also here, you're on speakerphone."

"Oh. What did you want to talk about?" I gritted my teeth. I could already tell this wouldn't be the most pleasant phone call.

"So, as I'm sure you already know, all of us are thrilled that your daughter is back. I've never seen you so happy." Gavin remarked. "But, now that you're going out in public with her, pictures could be taken and rumors may begin to swirl. Of course, everyone will want to know who she is, and some will be willing to make up lies."

"We think it would be in your best interest to openly tell the world who she is." Marcus butt in.

"I'm alright with that." I nodded. I'd learned over the years that it's always best to be completely upfront with these sort of things, because hiding them is practically impossible. Honesty is easier in the long run.

"I could easily set up a magazine or radio interview for you in the coming weeks. It would be the easiest way to get the word out, I think." Gavin continued. "However, we must be very careful about how we break Victoria to the media. We cannot have you getting any more bad press, not after what happened with Allison."

"We're wary to tell everyone the complete truth, because it wouldn't reflect positively on you. She was accidentally born out of wedlock to teenage parents, after all." Marcus reminded me.

"I would feel a bit guilty lying to the all the fans..." I held my head in my free hand.

"You don't have to lie, you just need to stretch the truth a little. Maybe in the interview, explain that Victoria is the daughter you always knew you had and supported, but didn't spend much time with. She lived with her mother, whom you were once very close to. When she got pregnant, the two of you decided that it was in the best interest of the child to keep her out of the spotlight and let her live a normal life." Marcus took a breath. "Tell them that it was Victoria's decision to step out of the shadows, just now."

"It would be even better if we could get Victoria to attend the interview as well. Hearing directly from her would make the story seem more valid." Marcus suggested.

"You want me to ask her to lie to the press too?" I snorted.

"Not lie, stretch the truth." Gavin gently corrected.

"I'm not sure about that..."

~~~~

Victoria's POV:

After we finished our gym session, we finally got to go downstairs to Rink 3 and begin real practice. I pulled on my skates and joined Chase on the ice to warm up my skills.

I made a few laps around the exterior of the ice, then decided to throw a few jumps. I had been having trouble with my landings, specifically with my triple Salchow. I could barely land it on my own, and Coach Daniel wanted to use it as our throw jump in our competition routine. He argued that the toe loop we were performing now wasn't difficult enough, but I was afraid the Salchow would be nearly impossible. Throw jumps are always more difficult to land than regular, single jumps. There's so much extra power when Chase throws me, usually too much. I land so hard on my knee and ankle, that I almost always fall. But if he throws less, I end up under rotating.

After busting on my third try, Chase came over to help me up. "You're all right?" He asked, grabbing my hand and pulling me to my feet.

"Daniel is insane if he thinks I can land a triple Salchow." I shook out my right leg, the leg I always land my jumps on. Over the years, both my knee and my ankle had weakened from taking all of the wear and tear skating puts on them.

"There's no doubt in my mind Daniel will make us throw it over and over until you get it." Chase bit his lip.

"I'll just break my leg, it's whatever." I said sarcastically.

"If we're chatting, we must be finished warming up, and ready to start!" Daniel declared.

~~~~

Finally, twelve o'clock rolled around, and practice ended. I changed into my street shoes and headed outside so Louis could pick me up. Seeing as he wasn't there, and it was fairly cold, I went back inside.

I was replying to a few text messages I had received during practice when I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey Tori, strange seeing you here."

It was Jack Wisner, someone I despised with everything I had. I was fairly certain our hatred for each other was mutual. He was a stupid, arrogant, obnoxious hockey player in the grade above me. He sat next to me in math class, and I saw him at the rink all the time. He was the star of our school's hockey team.

"Jack." I rolled my eyes.

"Woah, woah, woah! Bitter today, aren't we?" He smirked.

"Don't you have somewhere better to be?" I snapped.

"No, I'm just waiting for my mom to pick me up."

Wonderful. Louis had better hurry up. There was no way I was going to wait here with this moron for any longer than I had to.

Authors Note:

Hello! So with all that's happened with Zayn, I have had zero motivation to write. Originally, I was prepared to just deny that Zayn had left and continue to write him into my books as usual. But if all of this lying shit with Naughty boy is true, I don't really know. It doesn't impact this book at all, but it really messes with my other books. So with that... I'll see you with my next update! Thanks for reading! :)