Forty

I take in a deep breath, then walk towards him. I haven't seen him in a couple days and it make it so much more awkward. " Hey, Dick."

" Hey, Perc." He stared back at me.

" Look, I've-"

" Hey, about-"

We both forced a laugh and told each other to do first. Eventually, I said, " About the other night. I think it would be best if we kept being friends. I'm about to head off to college and I'm not ready for long distance."

Dick sighed in relief, " I was going to say that, too."

I flopped on the couch, sighing as well. " I'm glad we're on the same page. And I'm sorry I lead you on." I scratched the back of my neck.

" Does it count as leading each other on if neither of us had feelings like that?" Dick laughed and sat next to me.

" I have no idea, but I'm so glad that's over." I close my eyes and let the stress leave.

" Me, too. I would have talked to you on Saturday but neither of us were free." Dick shrugged, " Can't believe I've been avoiding you for the past two weeks."

I sighed and nodded, " Anyway, I've been meaning to talk to you but you were never here and I didn't have time after work."

" I'm sorry I pushed you away up until your last day." Dick rubbed the back of his neck.

I sighed, frustrated, setting down the cups I was had been picking up, "Dick. It's okay. I could have called or text or something, let's just put it behind us."

" Maybe we can hang out tomorrow, before you leave?" Dick asked hopefully.

" I'm leaving tonight." I remind him. There was an early boarding program that New Rome offers for demigods planning on attending in the fall. I was going to drop all my stuff at the local GoodWill and catch a ride on Black Jack.

" Do you need help packing?" Dick asked. His persistence made me wonder if he was really over his feelings or if he was just saying that to make me feel better at rejecting him. But that wouldn't make sense since he also felt uncomfortable until we cleared the air. Maybe he really did just feel bad.

" No, I'm giving all my stuff to Goodwill. Maybe you can help me take it there? If your so interested in helping me." I rolled my eyes.

" Sure." Dick shrugged and smiled.

" I'll help, too." Damian appeared behind me.

I jumped as well as Dick, " Dami, don't do that!" Damian and Cass, who seemed to appear with him, just stared at us. " Do you need something?"

" You need help moving." Damian rolled his eyes.

" Are you gonna help, too, Miss Cass?" I asked. I found out that she relatively liked being called Miss Cass, or at least she doesn't glare at me when I use it or flip me over a table. I guess it helps her feel more normal. Cass nodded and the corners of her mouth lifted up.

" Alright, fine. When I get done for the day, we can go pack up I guess." I shrug.

With the help of the others, I quickly cleaned up the rest of the manor and said goodbye to Bruce. He gave me my final paycheck which was a lot more then expected, and what the other checks had been. He said consider it a parting gift. I didn't protest.

Alfred and Tim were a lot harder. Alfred was a good man and it seemed like he got a little teary eyed. I gave him a long hug and tried my best not to cry. Alfred gave me a ziplock bag of cookies, " A snack for the road." He gave me a kind smile and went back to work.