chapter three: that night (flashback)

OCTOBER 31ST 1981- GODRIC'S HOLLOW

LUPIN-BLACK HOUSE

It was a cool autumn night; the wind was blowing, the leaves were falling, and the stars were shining. Everything seemed normal; the kids were screaming, cheering and running from door to door gaining candy from every house.

In the wizarding world however, everything was far from normal.

In a house in the middle of Godric's Hollow, lived Remus Lupin and Sirius Black with their daughter, Lyra. Their house wasn't big nor was it small, but it was just right for the family of three. Sirius, who Lyra had looked most like, had come from a rich pureblood family and didn't want to live in a big home. Remus, coming from a poor halfblood family, felt the same.

Their "just right" home was nicely decorated with furniture, and pictures of their family and friends that filled the room. The hallway was filled with more pictures of their Hogwarts years and of Lyra and Harry, who they knew were going to date when they were older.

In her room, Lyra was sleeping peacefully, not a noise except the cool breeze that came in through the window. Her room was filled with many toys including a toy broom and mini quaffle, and a toy dog and wolf her parents got her for her 1st birthday.

Downstairs, in the living room, Remus and Sirius were having a drink. They just finished with the last of the trick-and-treaters.

"Happy Halloween, Moons." Sirius said, with his infamous grin, that made Remus' stomach do somersaults. Even after all these years.

"Happy Halloween, Pads." Remus replied, grinning back. He was so incredibly happy. He had everything he wanted; friends, a lover, a daughter.

All of a sudden, Sirius got up and began walking towards their fireplace.

"What are you doing?" Remus asked, confused.

"Making this Halloween even better." He said, going to the record player and putting on a record.

Ooh, love, ooh, loverboy

What're you doin' tonight, hey, boy?

Set my alarm, turn on my charm

That's because I'm a good old-fashioned loverboy

"My favourite song." Remus thought.

Sirius then went towards Remus and grabbed hold of his hands, his hands immediately feeling warm and not due to the temperature of the room. He pulled the taller man off the coach, put both their drinks down and they began to dance. Terribly, may I add.

They didn't know how much time passed as they continued to dance, laughing, kissing and badly singing. All of a sudden, a rush of new smells and emotions hit Remus. He stopped everything. He smelt death, evil, dark magic.... One usually associated with Deatheaters and dark wizards. This time, it smelt worse. He felt anger, sadness, and sin all in one. Fear entered his body as he figured out what was happening.

"Remus, are you okay? Moons..?" Sirius said softly, his hand on Remus' cheek.

"Sirius, go in the hallway." Remus said austerely.

"Huh?" Sirius asked, confused. He didn't know what brought this change in emotions.

"Go!" Remus yelled, nerves evident in his voice. Sirius went, hearing the sudden change in his lover's voice.

Remus suddenly went towards the door, his wand long forgotten. He walked slowly, nervous as to who or what was on the other end. Everything was on the line; his daughter, his life, Sirius. He would protect them with his life if it meant they lived.