chapter two: the rat killed my parents? end of year 3

3rd of May 1993

Lyra knew what was happening.

Of course she did. She watched the muggle news, She knew who had escaped, who he was and who he was after.

She knew.

Everyone was walking on eggshells around her, so it wasn't hard to figure out.

She knew Peter Pettigrew had escaped from Azkaban, the first ever may she add, she knew he was the person who got her parents killed. She knew he was after her. He wanted to finish what he started. He wanted to do what Voldemort couldn't.

Everyone was saying this. Okay well not everyone.

She could hear the whispers of her classmates, the low voices, the nervousness that filled their bodies. She could feel it, she could hear it and she could smell it.

Everyone was scared; they were scared of the person they heard Pettigrew was. They heard he was vicious, cruel.. The adults talked about how the war ruined him; how Pettigrew used to be sweet and kind and how he changed.

Nonetheless, Lyra knew better. She heard stories from Lily and James. She knew Pettigrew was a coward. He didn't scare Lyra, not much did. He just made her angry. He ruined her life.

And he was going to pay.

"Ron!" Lyra heard her best friend Harry say as he ran after Ron.

Context: Ron has a rat named Scabbers and right now he is running away.

"Wait !" She yelled, running up a hill, following Ron and her best friends.

Hermione, Harry and I stop at the top of the hill and Ron ends up a few feet ahead. He sits down peacefully and grabs his rat.

"Scabbers." He says.

"Harry, Lyra, you do realize what tree this is." My other best friend Hermione says. And I do know what tree.

What stood in front of me was the Whomping Willow. A ferocious tree that hurt people who tried to get in. It was there to protect and keep people away from my dad, Remus Lupin on his full moon transformations.

"Ron, run!" Harry screamed, nerves evident in his tone. I was about to scream too, but the words caught on my tongue.

All of a sudden, the rat jumped out of Ron's hands and went towards the root of the tree. The Passage Way, Lyra thought suddenly.

Ron followed, as did the rest of them. The four of them dodged the tree's trunks, jumping over and around them. The rat began to slide down the slide near the roots of the tree, so they followed foot.

They ended up in a dark hallway, dirt and dust in every turn and corner. Cobwebs filling every crevice, broken woods laid foot beside them. It was horrible. Lyra's father had to come down here every month?

They kept walking until they hit a room. It was a medium sized room with a bed, curtains, and had a piano covered in dust in the middle. The room looked destroyed; things were broken, wood planks laid on the side, and light shone only through the small window on the side. The room looked scratched. "Scratched by a werewolf."

"Woah. I can't even imagine transforming here. It's so dirty." Harry said sympathetically. He looked around and saw blood on the floor.

"Lyra look. Is this-" Harry started before Lyra cut him off.

"No. It looks newer, if it was his, then it would be old and darker. It's brighter." Lyra said looking at the red blood that was stuck to the floor.