XVII

"S-So you weren't the one that found me?!" Mary squeaked at the realisation. They were having breakfast when the borrower had wondered about how the human had rescued her. Chloe shook her head, before taking a sip of her hot chocolate; Mary had loved it so much she had asked to drink it again that morning.

"It was my friend, Vanessa."

Mary almost choked on a marshmallow. She got paler than a ghost as she widened her eyes. "S-She... saw me?" her voice trembled as she looked at the human from below.

Chloe felt her heart break at the sight; she had to stop herself from scooping the borrower up from the table and holding her to her chest to comfort her. "Yes, she did. She found you when she was walking back here and she brought you to me. She said you kept saying my name while you were half-conscious."

Mary felt her face burn and she looked down at her little cup filled with chocolate. She shivered as soon as she pictured a human finding her and grabbing her from the ground. What if Vanessa hadn't brought her back to Chloe? Not all humans were like her; Vanessa could have been one of those humans that liked hurting borrowers and torturing them. She could have spent the rest of her life in fear, without being able to see her family again. She could have lost Chloe forever.

"Hey," her train of thought was finally interrupted when Chloe brushed the back of her finger against her arm. Mary jumped slightly due to the touch-causing the hand next to her to retreat guiltily-and she realised at that moment she had been drowning in her concerns so much that she didn't hear Chloe talking to her.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered, suddenly feeling tears running down her cheeks. As the borrower looked up, she met two worried hazel eyes. Mary quickly dried her face, trying to stop crying and calm down.

"It's okay, Vanessa is a good friend of mine. She would never tell anyone about you." Chloe tried her best to reassure her, but avoided touching the borrower again, afraid she might scare her.

"H-How do you know? Did you talk to her?" Mary asked frantically, starting to fidget with her hands. What if Vanessa already told someone? What if she came back to take her away? Chloe would never let her... right? She would protect her; she said so!

"I did text her, and she promised she won't tell another soul what she saw," Chloe stated with a firm tone, trying to convince the borrower that there was nothing to worry about.

"B-But what if she does? What if other humans come here and... they want to get me and-" Mary started rambling, feeling tears burn her eyes again. Her breath had gotten quicker, and she could feel her body starting to tremble. The sound of the mug being placed on the table made her jump and shut up.

Chloe hesitated before reaching out a hand and waiting to see the borrower's reaction. Mary didn't know what Chloe's intentions were, but she tentatively got closer, touching her finger slightly. The human saw it as a good sign, and she slowly encircled the trembling little body. She brought Mary to her chest slowly, hugging her and caressing her back.

"Mary, I will never-ever -let anything happen to you. You have my word; I will protect you from anyone and anything." Chloe spoke slowly; her voice was low, knowing the borrower could hear her clearly enough. Mary instinctively held onto her shirt, closing her eyes and taking deep breaths to calm down. Chloe trusted her friend; as much as Vanessa had gotten curious about Mary, the brunette knew she wouldn't have pushed her to do anything she didn't want to. Her friend had asked a few questions, which Chloe tried to answer without revealing too much private information.

The borrower was astonished by how much comfort she could feel by a human's touch when only a few weeks before she would have been terrified. Mary hid her face as she enjoyed the moment silently. Chloe kept brushing her hair, waiting for the borrower to talk or do anything at all. However, when she understood the little girl didn't want to speak, she tried to talk again.