Love Is For The Weak

Aleksander's POV:

Aleksander's POV:

ᗩᒪIᑎᗩ SEES TO ᕼᗩᐯE calmed down. I hear a commotion out in the hallway, so I carefully pull a pillow down to support Alina's head and move my body out from under her. She twitches and stirs, but seems to remain asleep. Her light was seen from everywhere in the Palace. I came running as soon as I had seen it. I know she is powerful, but no Grisha is that strong. Not even her. What happened between the time I left the bedroom and now?

I open the door to my Corporalki and Oprichniki assembled in the corridor. I gather they ran in the direction of Alina's burst of light as well. They all look ready to fight a nonexistent enemy.

"Stand down. The problem has been dealt with." I think.

"We all saw an explosion. What was it?" one of the Heartrender women asks.

"It need not concern you. I want this room guarded. If there is any activity inside whatsoever, inform me immediately." I stride down the hall and descend the stairs to my carriage. I need to know what happened to Alina. There is only one person who would know more about Grisha's abilities than me.

***

"Mother, don't patronize me! I just need to ask you a question!"

        "Why, so that you can tell me I am being deranged? You so obviously think you are better than me to ignore my direct warnings. Just use your extensive knowledge to figure it out yourself!" she rasps.

        "I do not know everything, mother. If I did, I would not be here right now, would I?"

        She rolls her eyes. "Yes, Saint's forbid you go to see your mother out of the kindness of your heart."

I inhale sharply to gain control of my emotions again. "I am worried about Alina."

She whacks my shin with her cane and retorts, "you weren't worried about her when you put that collar around her neck to shackle her to you. You weren't worried about her safety when you took her aboard that ship to find Rusalye. What changed? Why are you so concerned about her now-"

"Because I love her!" I shout. The room goes still. Even the birds outside seem to have stopped chirping.

After a long moment of silence, Baghra hobbles closer to me and says, "do not confuse love with foolish desire, my son. Besides, love is for the weak."

"So you've told me. Every time I tried to hug you or seek your approval as a child, you would tell me that," I say in a near whisper. I clear my throat and continue to say, "I just wanted to see if you knew how a Sun Summoner could let out enough involuntary light to fill a palace."

I seem to have gotten her attention now. Her eyebrows raise heavenward. "What do you mean 'involuntary light'?"

My body relieves tension. Good, she is finally listening to me. "She was asleep in my bedroom. Then, a searing light flooded every room and hallway of the palace. When I got to Alina, she was glowing. Her hair was blindingly white and there was sunlight gathering around her as if she was not the one who summoned it. It was almost like the light called to her as opposed to her calling the light."