The Outcome of Defiance

IT ᕼᗩS ᗷEEᑎ ᗩ ᖴEᗯ ᗯEEKS since our wedding

IT ᕼᗩS EE E EEKS since our wedding. I am finally starting to get used to the busy palace life. Every day has a routine. I wake up in an empty bed. The Darkling comes to sleep for only a few hours each night, if at all. Then, I am swarmed with servants that get me washed and ready for the day. I attend political meetings, some with the Darkling, others alone. Finally, I go to bed and start all over again.

        I haven't been able to keep my mind off of Nikolai. What will happen if I go back down there? If the Darkling finds out, I'm not sure what he will do to me or him. But what will happen if I do not go to the cellar? I couldn't live with myself if I went on with my lavish life while he is starved and neglected.

        No matter the cost, I have to see him.

***

        I carry a glass of water and some food that I swept from my plate while eating alone the night before. This way, the kitchen staff will not report stolen food to the Darkling this time. I bend the light over my figure, rendering myself invisible once again. As I walk down the same dirty, stone staircase, a knot forms in my stomach. I know there is no other choice. Nevertheless, this is a dangerous game I am playing by defying the Darkling's very clear warning. My shoulder throbs in pain just thinking about it.

        When I reach the cells, I run to Nikolai's cage. He is slumped on the floor. This time, I was smart enough to bring a pin hidden in my hair. I take the hairpin and frantically jiggle it in the hefty iron lock keeping me from him. After a minute of frustration, I hear a heavy clank and the lock falls to the ground.

        "Nikolai," I call to him in a panic. I rest my knees on the ground next to him and shake his shoulders. "Nikolai," I repeat.

        "Hmhh? Ahhh it's my guardian Saint that's come to save meee." His speech is slurred and delirious. Nikolai's head falls back when he looks up at me. I hold him in my arms. Every one of his ribs is perceptible through the ragged clothing. He reaches up to touch my cheek. "You are as prettyyy as the day I met you on my ship." His words run together.

        "You are delirious. Here, drink." I support his head up and hold the glass of water to his lips. He takes a sip of the liquid and coughs as the water soothes his water-deprived throat.

        "You're as pretty as the day I met you. Did I ever tell you that?"

        I caress his face in concern. "Just a few seconds ago, in fact." I give him a piece of my leftover food. He pushes it away.

        "You need to eat, Nikolai. When did they feed you last?"

        "I don't need you to take care of me. I'm fffine on my own."

        "Nikolai, you are not fine. Eat," I demand. He reluctantly takes a bite of the biscuit. The expression on his face makes me laugh as he melts at the buttery taste.