Chapter 21: Returning Home

The next morning, Sabrina was up and dressed before dawn. She made her way to the stables to ensure Schön would be saddled and ready to go before heading to breakfast, pleased to see she'd arrived before Warren. The delegates from the other covens were already there, likely in a hurry to return to their homes and share what they'd witnessed, and Sabrina purposefully chose a seat between Aster and Gunter, enjoying the chance to speak further with both the witch and the warlock.

After breakfast, bags were gathered and horses were brought from the barn, sending the courtyard into a flurry of activity, for which Sabrina was grateful, as it took some of the attention off her, even though she could feel Warren's gaze watching her morosely from a few feet away.

Jessa gave Sabrina a wrapped pack of food from the Zurasammen kitchen to eat on the journey back, and Sabrina thanked her for the kindness, stowing the food in her saddlebags before turning to say her goodbyes. Hermann and Jessa offered hugs and their deepest appreciation for her visit, thanking her numerous times for coming and promising to connect with her mother soon.

When it came time to hug Warren, Sabrina did so as quickly as possible, and then immediately turned her attention to Schön, focusing on climbing up into the saddle rather than inviting Warren to come and visit the Hexen or implying she'd like for them to write one another.

Birds were just beginning to call out when Schön stepped onto the packed dirt road, and Sabrina let out a deep sigh of relief, even as she glanced over at the Schwarzwald. The forest appeared especially menacing in the early morning light...fog rolled slowly between the trees, thin tendrils wrapping around trunks and branches, pausing occasionally as if to peer outwards, studying Sabrina as her eyes followed its movement.

"Well, Schön," she said, turning her gaze away from the woods and settling it between the horse's twitching ears. "We did it. We did what Mother wanted, and we survived to tell the tale. Let's go home."

Schön nickered her agreement, and they set off at a brisk pace, as if Schön, too, was eager to return home. Sabrina hoped the other horses had been kind to her, but since she had no way of asking, she simply stroked the horse's dappled grey neck and recounted everything she'd experienced during the trip, from her efforts to avoid Warren to the things Celestine had shared with her.

The journey passed quickly, and before Sabrina knew it, the castle turrets were in sight, and she couldn't keep from bursting into a smile when she saw the oversized windows of her workroom glinting in the fading sunlight. Schön's ears perked up and she swished her tail happily, breaking into a trot Sabrina didn't even try to slow until they reached the front gate.

Sabrina quickly dismounted before leading Schön through the arched doorway, across the courtyard, and into the stables. As they stepped inside the barn, Tante Louisa poked her head around a corner, a wide grin immediately spreading over her face.

"Welcome back!" she exclaimed, putting down the bucket she'd been carrying and hurrying over to Schön, rubbing the horse's nose before giving her a hug. Only then did she turn her attention to Sabrina. "And welcome back to you, too!"

"It's nice to be back," said Sabrina, handing the reins to Tante Louisa before wrapping her own arms around Schön's neck. "Thank you for everything," she murmured. "You're better company than almost everyone else I know."

Schön nickered and rested her head contentedly over Sabrina's shoulder. While Sabrina wished she could remain and enjoy the embrace, her mother was undoubtedly waiting for her, so she hugged the horse one final time, then untied her valise, slung the saddlebags over her shoulder, and made her way inside the castle.

Her mother was sitting in the armchair by the fire when Sabrina walked in, and she quickly rose to her feet. Hurrying forward, she wrapped her arms around Sabrina, which was admittedly a nice surprise.