}25{ - Bleeding Berries

Muttations.

No question about it.

Livia had never seen these mutts, but they were no natural-born animals.

They resembled huge wolves, but what wolf landed and then balances easily on its hind legs?

What wolf waved the rest of the pack forward with its front paw as though it had a wrist?

These things Livia could see at a distance.

Up close, she was sure their more menacing attributes would be revealed.

Cato had made a beeline for the Cornucopia, and without question Livia followed him.

If he thought it was the safest place, who was Livia to argue?

Besides, even if she could make it to the trees, it would be impossible for Peeta to outrun them on that leg-

Peeta!

Livia's hands had just landed on the metal at the pointed tail of the Cornucopia when she remembered.

He was about fifteen yards behind her, hobbling as fast as he could, but the mutts were closing in on him fast.

Livia sent a disc into the pack and one went down, but there were plenty to take its place.

Peeta was waving Livia up the horn, "Go, Livia! Go!"

He was right.

Livia couldn't protect either of them on the ground.

She started climbing, scaling the Cornucopia on her hands and feet.

The pure gold surface had been designed to resemble the woven horn that they fill at harvest, so there were little ridges and seams to get a decent hold on.

But after a day in the arena sun, the metal felt hot enough to blister Livia's hands.

Cato lied on his side at the very top of the horn, twenty feet above the ground, gasping to catch his breath as he gagged over the edge.

Now was her chance to finish him off.

She stopped midway up the horn and grabbed another disc, but just as she was about to let it fly, she heard Peeta cry out.

She twisted around and saw he was just reached the tail, and the mutts were right on his heels.

"Climb!" Livia yelled.

Peeta started up hampered by not only the leg but the knife in his hand.

Livia shot her disc down the throat of the first mutt that placed its paws on the metal.

As it died the creature lashed out, inadvertently opening gashes on a few of its companions.

That was when Livia got a look at the claws.

Four inches and clearly razor-sharp.

Peeta reached Livia's feet. She grabbed his arm and pulled him along.